Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Power requirement for astro photography setup

Hello All,

I am looking to get a power setup for my Astrophotography equipments. I have these euipments to power up for 12 hrs:

1. CGEM EdgeHD 800 

2. QHY8L CCD Camera

3. Lenovo thinkpad R60 Laptop (Connected QHY8L USB port + Guide CCD Camera) 

4. Dew Shield

I have looked SMF batteries to powerup these equipments and found this:

Exide Powersafe NXT (http://www.exide4u.com/sites/default/files/private/NXT%20MedVRLA%20catalogue.pdf)

Is it the correct battery that I need or I have to look for some other type of battery?

Also I am looking to get two 65 Ah battery instead of a single 100 AH of battery, which would be better option? Should I look for higher capacity?

Should I connect batteries directly to 12v input of equipments, is it safe or I need to use some regulator or converter to power these equipments for safety?

Would 800 VA inverter work with equipments to convert 12v DC to 220v AC to run these equipments using standard AC adapter?

Thanks,

Add up all power consumption of your equipment X 12 (time in hours to be used)  = needed capacity of your battery in Ah
the above is draining completely, so you need to double that to stay on the safe side

For example: mount ± 2A + QHY8 ± 2 A + dewshield ± 1,5 A + Lenovo ± 0,5 A = 6 A  x 12 hours = 72 Ah. To be on the safe side 1,4 - 2 X = 100 - 150 Ah

Why would you invert to 220 volts and then convert back to 12 V again? (loss of energy)
You may have to invert to 220 for your Lenovo laptop, but maybe you can find a 12 V adapter for your Lenovo (needs 10.8 - 11.2 Volts ??)

If in anyway possible, you would be better of to use mains and the standard adapters...
If you put everything in a plastic or wooden box to shield it from getting wet, you will be safe.

Archived