Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Sometimes you just have to use what is at hand

pyrasanth

This might seem an odd post for the imaging section but bear with me.

I have stopped liking my Lodestar X2 for use on the innovations foresight ONAG. The problem is the very small field of view. It is a great guide camera if used in the back of a refractor like the Skywatcher 80 but on the ONAG if fails because of the very limited field of view. Binning is a big no as well- the pixels I suspect become so large the SkyX interface sees only black although this could be a software error.

Currently I'm caught between a rock & a hard place as the ONAG model I have will not support the Atik 11000 without vignetting as it is a full frame CD. I intend to upgrade but that means putting over a £1000.00 on the table so not a cheap option. I certainly don't want the expense of another camera either.

Then I had this idea and the irony is- I know your going to slate me for improvising such a solution but I will share it with you. The Atik 11000 has temporarily been utilised as the guide camera. It sits on the back of the ONAG & gives me the biggest guide field I've ever seen despite the vignetting which does not really matter. The Atik 460 is being used as the imaging camera & believe it or not this solution seems to work well.

So, I have a very expensive full Chip CCD being used as a guide camera & it only cost me £16.00 for the T-ring from FLO to couple them together- now that is guiding on the cheap....or expensive which ever way you choose to look at it.

When I upgrade to the Larger ONAG XM I will reverse the roles of the cameras as the current solution is severely oversampled with the ATik 460 on a 1x1 Bin (even 2x2 would be pushing it). The Atik 11000 at my current focal length will give me a much better 1.8 arc sec pixel at 2x2 binning which equates better with my rubbish seeing!

If it works why knock it. It is the difference in marginal costs that matter. Unless you can get a better return by selling and replacing then as the costs are sunk why bother about them.

I have used a £4k back thinned E2V chipped camera as a guide camera in the past!

Regards Andrew

I thought about the marginal cost of the equipment attached to the back of the telescope. If I unscrew from the focal reducer what I'm holding in my hand is £9K of equipment- that's an expensive hobby hence my desire to achieve the impossible & stop spending on Astronomy!:help:

Archived