NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Sigma F1.4 50mm Prime lens exposure times

Hi All

Can anyone give me some advise please.

I would like to try some widefield images of the area around Orion using my Star Adventurer a unmodded Canon 600D with a Sigma 50mm F1.4 prime lens, but i dont know what iso, exposure or F number to use, i will be imaging from a beach in Portsmouth looking out over the solent, could anyone give me some ideas please.

Thanks

trial and error,the best thing about dslr is you can view and delete if wrong

try iso 800\1600 for 5 seconds see what you have,then increase time exposure and check stars dont have halos if so close down the f stop

800 iso is the "norm" but higher iso will show what you are getting,then reduce it and take plenty of frames and stack them

processing will give good results

1 hour ago, daveangie0110 said:

Hi All

Can anyone give me some advise please.

I would like to try some widefield images of the area around Orion using my Star Adventurer a unmodded Canon 600D with a Sigma 50mm F1.4 prime lens, but i dont know what iso, exposure or F number to use, i will be imaging from a beach in Portsmouth looking out over the solent, could anyone give me some ideas please.

Thanks

ISO 800 or may be 1600 with exposure by looking at the camera histogram.
Get the histogram peak to at least 20% but no more than 40%.

Like this, white histogram peak just over 20%
info.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Hia, i have the same lense but 30mm, i have to stop it at F2 or i get a mess at the edges, so its best to choose settings  that are not on the limits of the lenses range, also realy take your time with getting good focus, hope that helps a bit,  chris

sounds like fun. 

with the star adventure you should be able to get 120 sec subs. id stick to iso 800. i know the 600D is very good in low light but you will want as little noise as possible.

i agree with chris stop the lens down to keep the corners cleaner, and really nail the focus.

hope it goes well for you :)

Danny 

Archived