Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

AZ EQ5 to AZ EQ6 upgrade?

osbourne one-nil

I've recently bought myself a Vixen NA140SS refractor to join my Tak FC100D. Weight-wisen it's well within the limits of my AZ EQ5 mount; the Mount's rated at 15kg x 2 scopes (in alt az mode) and the Vixen's only about 8.5kg once mounted. But it's a long scope and does bounce around a bit. Would the upgrade to an AZ EQ6 be a noticeable improvement and make things steady? I want goto; I like goto, and I like the dual encoders both mounts have should I want to point manually at something. I also want tracking; I like tracking. 

Another option is to just go for an EQ mount, and put the Tak on a Porta II or something,  but I'm not going to try photography any time soon so wouldn't seem to gain me anything. 

I'm sure the AZEQ6 would be an improvement, but it's tricky to know how much. My Vixen weighs 18kg plus, and is long. I found that the best way to stop vibrations was to stop touching it, so I fitted a Baader SteelTrack with SteelDrive motor focuser. That really helped, have you considered doing something similar before upgrading the mount?

I have considered at least waiting until I've looked through it (the scope only came yesterday) and probably sorting the backlash in the azimuth axis out, which I think contributes to the "bounce". I probably am jumping the gun! 

I wouldn't be swapping eyepieces often, and would use the goto and tracking, so I guess that would help.

Perhaps the hefty increase in weight wouldn't be worth it. 

Archived