Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

New Celestron Wedge for Evolution / Nexstar

Hi All

I have a Nexstar 6SE and i want to do more astrophotography with it, i know i am limited to about 25 second exposures, but i have noticed that Celestron has brought out a new wedge to enable longer exposure imaging.

Has anyone got the new wedge for the Evolution or Nexstar, i was thinking of getting one but wanted to see if anyone has had any success with it, if so can anyone give me some feedback and answer some questions for me.

How do you polar align it?

How accurate is it at tracking?

Is it worth the £300 asking price? 

Many thanks

The wedge is superb for the price - but it's very heavy duty - highly suitable for the CPC range but I'm not so sure about putting it on the lighter 6SE mount - I'd want a more solid one to carry that weight. You'd need to do a "wedge align" first followed by a "polar align" and then a "star align" - the procedure is part manual and part electronic.

I've always found Celestron goto scopes to be very good at tracking and quite intuitive to use. You'd only need the wedge for imaging deep sky objects - the 6SE is really more for observing/imaging solar system objects without the wedge - that's where I feel it's forte is due to the long focal length, high f-ratio, and alt/az tracking. But it doesn't by any means mean you can't observe the deep sky with it. Hth :)

Archived