NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

mapping software

Jai

Hi, i am looking for 

1. software that can be used to map stars onto land. i have seen book where the author was able to map the Orion stars onto physical places in four corners area. i want to be able to do a thing like that. thanks.

2. software that can show me the night sky about 30,000 years back with accuracy. thanks.

Hello Jai

Not sure about number 2, but your first question is easily answered. 

You can think of the stars as being on a sphere around our planet. Every star has a position in degrees: Declination (~Latitude) and right ascension (~Longitude). So, it is exactly the same problem as you would have mapping two houses/countries onto a flat map. 

One free software that can deal with geographic information is called QGIS It might be overkill for what you want to achieve though.  

Hello Jai

I don't know of a bespoke package that will do this.

You could do it with any photo software that has Layers.

Load your map image as the top layer, with transparency at 50%.

As Peter says to get your 30,000 year old Orion, then screen grab or save image.

Put your Orion image on a lower layer, and adjust rotation and image size until it fits your landmarks, maybe making negative will make it clearer.

Michael

Archived