NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

5 Planets in the Morning Sky, One in the Evening and One Under My Feet

orion25

The sky cleared and I was able to see the beautiful apparition of Jupiter, Mars, Saturn, Venus, and Mercury all grace the pre-dawn sky, but hurry, Mercury will soon start moving back towards the sun. Venus is already on its slower journey towards the sun, but we'll get to see it for a little while yet in the morning sky. Uranus is still at a good elevation in the evening (for the U.S. at least). And good ol' planet Earth is still under foot!

Clear skies!

Reggie

SkySafari sent me a message at the weekend reminding me that 6 planets could bee seen in the one night.

Unfortunately other than a short lived partial clearing the sky remained mostly overcast in the evening. Which is a pity because we were up in Cumbria at our luxury villa which has a great southern sky. I keep Ye Olde Fullerscope there permanently for those rare clear nights. It would have been nice look up Uranus and Neptune. 

I see enough dawns during the course of my work (shifts) and find it extremely difficult to get up early for stargazing nowadays. If there was a high chance of a clear morning sky I'd have set an alarm.

Edit: Forget Neptune. I never even bothered checking what was on offer due to the sky :(

On 2/8/2016 at 17:12, Special K said:

Morning is the prime time for planets at the moment. Mars is pretty incredible!  Mercury is a tough customer so well done!

Thanks, Kevin. Mercury reached greatest elongation on the 7th so it's already moving back toward the sun.

On 2/8/2016 at 17:29, Paul M said:

SkySafari sent me a message at the weekend reminding me that 6 planets could bee seen in the one night.

Unfortunately other than a short lived partial clearing the sky remained mostly overcast in the evening. Which is a pity because we were up in Cumbria at our luxury villa which has a great southern sky. I keep Ye Olde Fullerscope there permanently for those rare clear nights. It would have been nice look up Uranus and Neptune. 

I see enough dawns during the course of my work (shifts) and find it extremely difficult to get up early for stargazing nowadays. If there was a high chance of a clear morning sky I'd have set an alarm.

Edit: Forget Neptune. I never even bothered checking what was on offer due to the sky :(

I hope you get some clear sky, soon. And when it happens, take the day off and enjoy it to the fullest!  And you're right about Neptune, it's lost in the twilight now.

Archived