NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Skywatcher 200P Dobsonian: Advice Please

I've a Nexstar 127 Mak, but am thinking about a low cost, big aperture, low mag/wide angle 'scope, and this one looks very good.  Can I just ask (of those with experience of these):

# It looks low - how easy is it aim with an RDF and a RACI finderscope?

# Does it come with a straight-through finderscope?

# It has a dual focuser, so will it simply take a 2" 40mm EP for really low mag and wide angle viewing?

I know from SGL that these Dobs are really popular.  I'm beginning to see why!

Thanks,

Doug.

I hear a lot of people actually raise the scope up an extra foot or so to make the aiming and finding that bit easier. Using a box, steel bucket or something like tht.

Yes it does come with a straight through finderscope.

And yes it should do

6 minutes ago, bomberbaz said:

regarding the wide field views, I compared the moonfish in my sig FOV in my 12" dob to the skyliner 200p and you would get 20% more tfov.

In my scope at F4.9 its 1.6 and in the F6 200p it would be 2.04 :icon_biggrin:

hth

steve

Got the tfov Steve, but you lost me with moonfish and sig.  Please expand!

Doug.

Well I just had my dinner so I am feeling a little fatter, but how much more expansion do you need? 

Seriously in my very colourful signature down there v v v v v you will see reference to a moonfish 2" 30mm. This has a 80 degree fov and in my scope gives me 1.6 TFOV

Steve

5 hours ago, bomberbaz said:

Well I just had my dinner so I am feeling a little fatter, but how much more expansion do you need? 

Seriously in my very colourful signature down there v v v v v you will see reference to a moonfish 2" 30mm. This has a 80 degree fov and in my scope gives me 1.6 TFOV

Steve

80 degrees - I AM impressed.  (My 12 and 18mm XCels give me 60 deg of AFOV.)  The advantage of a 2" fitting, I suppose!

Archived