Which one do I chose?

Hello all,

To give you some background I started as a beginner a year or so a go with a EQ-3 and a Skywatcher 127.  I struggled for months as the mounts gears would slip tracking, leaving me after many an attempt at observations ending in frustration.

My wife recently treated me to a EQ-5 Pro, and instantly I'm in heaven (no pun intended).  Alignments are done in a couple of minutes and all is well.  Well that is until I have a desire to see deep sky objects and maybe move towards astro photography.

Having read many articles on SGL and on the web generally, I approached First light Optics for advise about the Evostar 80ED DS Pro and they provided some really good feedback on the scope, but also suggested the Skywatcher Explorer 130P-DS OTA or Skywatcher Explorer 150P-DS OTA but stated the 150 may struggle on the EQ-5 for photography.

I recognise observations and photography require different qualities, but I wish to concentrate on visual observations with astro photography being an aspiration.

Can I ask if you have experience with any of these scopes and what you would recommend.  One thing I did read is that the eye-piece on the 130 & 150 may end up in difficult positions after the mount as skewed to its target.

All advice is good advice at the moment, and I thank you in advance

Clive

I recently bought the 130 pds and i have only managed to use it a couple of times but i can say the difference between that and my other scope for imaging is massive. its crisp and clear and cant wait to use it much more. as for eyepiece being in awkward positions you can turn the scope in the rings to suit your position so i dont think it will be a problem at all. All the very best and clear skies. Scott

Hey Clive,

I've been using EQ5 with a 200P tube for quite a while, and while stretched to its limits - it did a great job so 150P should be fine. They are right to warn you, because AP equipment can be very different from setup to setup. For example, I'm using a Canon EOS100D which weighs approximately 40% less than other models - apply that rule to guiders and other pieces and we end up with many different weights.

SkyWatcher Explorer that FLO suggested is a fantastic scope - the 200P was, in fact, my first scope - also recommended by FLO. If you're looking for alternatives, have a look at Celestron Omni XLT - it's a very good performer as well.

Regarding eyepieces being in weird positions - that's something all EQ mounts will give you, do not worry about that.

And about your AP aspirations - you can begin with anything, as long as you manage your expectations :) Your mount is the heart of AP, not the scope as such, so if you want to start taking DSO pictures you will require a good GOTO mount with decent tracking etc. I wouldn't worry about that now, you can always upgrade.

Fantastic advise from you all, thank you so much for sparing the time to reply.

On the recommendations of FLO and your comments I think the 150P is the one for me

Thanks again

Clive

Hello Clive,

Yes, the 150P-DS should be ideal for both visual and imaging.  I have the base-model version of that one, and with a plastic 1.25" focusser...

Completion4.jpg.e8654263cb167852aa87dd9a

I use it for visual only, and it's a wonderful performer.  With a 32mm ocular, 23x is realised; whilst with the aid of a 3x barlow, a magnification of 250x and beyond is possible, under ideal seeing conditions.  I've found it to be the closest to a theoretical all-around instrument as possible, and for observing most everything in the sky.  You'll need a collimation tool, being that the 150P-DS is a Newtonian...

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/other-collimation-tools/premium-cheshire-collimating-eyepiece.html

A simpler collimation cap might also be had, but not to the exclusion of the above... http://www.firstlightoptics.com/other-collimation-tools/rigel-aline-collimation-cap.htm

Many tutorials for collimating, or aligning a Newtonian's mirrors abound online, this being one... http://www.astro-baby.com/collimation/astro%20babys%20collimation%20guide.htm

...along with help and assistance from the more experienced members of this site and others.

Cheers,

Alan

• 2 weeks later...

When choosing eyepieces for the reflector, knowing its focal-length is very helpful...

750mm ÷ ?mm = ?x

750mm ÷ 32mm = 23x

20mm = 38x

15mm = 50x

By barlowing a 20mm and 15mm with a 2x barlow, simulated 10mm(75x) and 7.5mm(100x) oculars are realised.

By barlowing a wider-field 6mm(125x) with same, a simulated 3mm(250x) may be had.

The combinations are seemingly endless.

Archived