NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Lodestar X2

Astrith

Hello All .I am currently using the SCB 2000p camera. I am thinking of buying the Lodestar X2 .  Do I need to buy a  focal reducer / any sort of adapter for my scope . I am using when weather permits a Sky-Watcher Star Discovery  reflector 150P f/5

If needs be then Will order what is needed.

So with your f5 scope you are at a FL of 750mm, so the Lodestar will give you a 29 x 22 minute FOV with 2.25 arcsec pixels.  If you want a bigger FOV you could go with some focal reduction, but given that you already have a pretty fast system, you'll need a combo reducer-flattener to avoid having wicked off-axis distortion.  I would imagine a 0.8x reducer is about the most you'd get away with adding to an f/5 refractor.  The Lodestar is 1.25" OD, so it can be clamped in to any scope in place of a normal 1.25" eyepiece.  You can also do a screw-together approach, and in fact will probably have to do that if you get a focal reducer.  Your focal reducer will probably have male T-threads on the output side.  You would then purchase a female T-thread to male C-thread adapter to connect the FR to the Lodestar.  Note that the FR will have an optimal lens-to-chip distance, and to achieve that distance you may have to place extra T-thread spacers between it and the Lodestar.  

Alex

23 minutes ago, aparker said:

So with your f5 scope you are at a FL of 750mm, so the Lodestar will give you a 29 x 22 minute FOV with 2.25 arcsec pixels.  If you want a bigger FOV you could go with some focal reduction, but given that you already have a pretty fast system, you'll need a combo reducer-flattener to avoid having wicked off-axis distortion.  I would imagine a 0.8x reducer is about the most you'd get away with adding to an f/5 refractor.  The Lodestar is 1.25" OD, so it can be clamped in to any scope in place of a normal 1.25" eyepiece.  You can also do a screw-together approach, and in fact will probably have to do that if you get a focal reducer.  Your focal reducer will probably have male T-threads on the output side.  You would then purchase a female T-thread to male C-thread adapter to connect the FR to the Lodestar.  Note that the FR will have an optimal lens-to-chip distance, and to achieve that distance you may have to place extra T-thread spacers between it and the Lodestar.  

Alex

Many thanks for your help Alex.

Astrith,

In my previous post I incorrectly assumed you had an f/5 refractor.  Looking on the web I see that your Skywatcher is an f/5 Newtonian.  To do significant focal reduction there you'll need a FR and coma corrector, and will likely start to get some significant vignetting (dim edges to the image).  My advice would be to start out with the scope as it is and not worry about a FR at this point.

Happy observing.

Alex

Hi Astrith

The Lodestar has a CS thread just like the SCB2000 so anything you use with the SCB2000 can be used with the Lodestar.

As Alex has said, start with you scope at native F5 and see how you get on.

I use a CS to 1.25" nose piece on both my SDC435 and Lodestar which can takes 1.25" filters (Ha, LP etc.), however this is not essential.

You'll find that the field of view is slightly larger on the Lodestar as it has a larger CCD (1/2" vs. 1/3")

LodestarLive (StarlightLive) is a fantastic piece of software and Hilo dons guide will be evry useful.

Looking forward to seeing some of your captures.

CS

Paul

22 hours ago, aparker said:

Astrith,

In my previous post I incorrectly assumed you had an f/5 refractor.  Looking on the web I see that your Skywatcher is an f/5 Newtonian.  To do significant focal reduction there you'll need a FR and coma corrector, and will likely start to get some significant vignetting (dim edges to the image).  My advice would be to start out with the scope as it is and not worry about a FR at this point.

Happy observing.

Alex

Again thanks Alex for being so helpful .

2 hours ago, DoctorD said:

Hi Astrith

The Lodestar has a CS thread just like the SCB2000 so anything you use with the SCB2000 can be used with the Lodestar.

As Alex has said, start with you scope at native F5 and see how you get on.

I use a CS to 1.25" nose piece on both my SDC435 and Lodestar which can takes 1.25" filters (Ha, LP etc.), however this is not essential.

You'll find that the field of view is slightly larger on the Lodestar as it has a larger CCD (1/2" vs. 1/3")

LodestarLive (StarlightLive) is a fantastic piece of software and Hilo dons guide will be evry useful.

Looking forward to seeing some of your captures.

CS

Paul

Many thanks Paul for your advice.......ps. Have read many of your posts  over the months. Alan.

Hello Astrith

For interest I use an F5 200 mm Skywatcher reflector (on an HEQ5 Pro mount) with a 1.25 inch 0.5x reducer attached to a Lodestar X2 using a CS to 1.25 in adaptor. 

Seems to work OK.

I was going to post some images but I am not able to attach anything. (Novice message poster I presume.)

Archived