Synguiding / Lacerta M-GEN

groberts

For various reasons I’ve been on the verge of guiding for a while but it just hasn’t happened yet.  I have EQMOD running, though with some connection problems for time-to-time, but find even the description of guiding intimidating + with having to set-up and take down my equipment each time + with often poor and limited viewing conditions (UK weather) time is often limited I am also put off by all the additional faffing about just to get going.  I was therefore intrigued and interested to recently come across synguiding (?) i.e. stand-alone autoguiding, which it seems could be an elegant / easier solution to guiding.

I would be interested to know what other’s comments and experience of this has been and, in particular, using the Lacerta M-GEN guider or any other?

Thanks, Graham

I'd say you will spend at least an additional 15 minutes setting up when guiding compared to no guiding, and that is when you have got the sequence nailed down. However the rewards can be so much greater than not guiding so I'd say it is well worth it.

I currently use PHD2 on a netbook and I think any of my guiding problems are flexure related rather than actual PHD2 issues. A stand alone guider can be a good option if everything works otherwise you can be pretty stuck. I'd like to get a Lacerta M-Gen II, but their cost is a bit prohibitive. As an example the netbook I just bought cost much less and would still be cheaper if I purchased a QHY5L-II-M guide camera as well. It has 8GB of RAM, a 128GB SSD and a fairly decent processor (i.e. not a Celeron)...and can run for the entire night. It can run Stellarium with ease, has a touch screen to pinch zoom and move about...I can process images on it...

BUT the allure of a simple product that does one thing and does it well still appeals! Of all the stand-alone guiders the only one I'd consider is the M-Gen.

Archived