NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Aligning with BackyardEOS

rubecula

Despite hibernating the AVX mount I always find the GO TO a little off when I switch it back on and so have to re-align.  As I always remove the 7D after an imaging session I re-align using the eyepiece

I have just bought a Canon 550D and sent it off Astronomiser to have the filter removed. I would like to leave this camera permenantly mounted. 

Sometimes the GO TO is quite a long way off and I'm worried that the appropriate stars will not be in the resticted field of view available via the camera.

So:

1)  Is it feasable to use BackyardEOS in re-aligning the scope?

2) Is it inevitable that the AVX GO TO is off after hibernating the mount?

I do find that larger adjustments are required for the AVX if it is not used for a while. I also found that updating the firmware to the latest edition helped. I usually do my aligning using a EP before adding the camera but I see no reason why you should not use the camera. The reason I don't is that you can get the cables tangled or worse unless you are careful.

I am awaiting a Polemaster which should make things even easier.

Peter

Archived