NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Next step up from SkyWatcher Star Adventurer

nwcs

I'm looking into a lot of mount possibilities for imaging. Mostly I'm planning on using it for dslr and <=400mm lengths. I have a Vixen Polarie and an iOptron zeq25 that's not working well. I've read up on a lot of different mounts but curious at what lies between the star adventurer and Celestron AVX. I know you get what you pay for in this class but looking for a sweet spot given my ~2-4kg payload max. Thanks!

I always argue that payload is an over-rated factor. It does have to be respected, of course, but what is also critical is tracking accuracy and guider response. 400mm is a 'telescopic' focal length and DSLRs have small pixels. This could easily see you imaging at less than 2 arcsecs per pixel which is certainly autoguiding terrtory. My choice would be an autoguided SkyWatcher HEQ5 or the US equivalent.

Olly

I've looked at the HEQ5 which I believe is the Orion Sirius mount. I'm not convinced that I need to go that high in mounts for the level of accuracy I'm after. While I pursue superb sharpness and such in my daytime photography I'm not as concerned about total precision for nighttime. I've got an autoguider already but still evaluating how best to use it considering I'm using DSLR lenses. It seems that no one has produced a camera hotshoe adapter for a finder like the Orion 50mm mini. That would be ideal. I doubt that there are any telescope rings that would work reliably with a DSLR lens. I do have a dual dovetail but then that adds weight and I might as well get the AVX or EQ5.

The Fornax 10 looks very similar in concept to the AstroTrac. I like that I can re-use a lot of the setup I already put together for the Vixen Polarie. Speaking of that, the Vixen people told me they are putting out an illuminated polar scope for the Polarie finally sometime this year! I'm going to have to do more research on the Fornax and see how it compares. I would consider the AstroTrac but the 2 hour limit bugs me.

I've looked at the HEQ5 which I believe is the Orion Sirius mount. I'm not convinced that I need to go that high in mounts for the level of accuracy I'm after. While I pursue superb sharpness and such in my daytime photography I'm not as concerned about total precision for nighttime. I've got an autoguider already but still evaluating how best to use it considering I'm using DSLR lenses. It seems that no one has produced a camera hotshoe adapter for a finder like the Orion 50mm mini. That would be ideal. I doubt that there are any telescope rings that would work reliably with a DSLR lens. I do have a dual dovetail but then that adds weight and I might as well get the AVX or EQ5.

The Fornax 10 looks very similar in concept to the AstroTrac. I like that I can re-use a lot of the setup I already put together for the Vixen Polarie. Speaking of that, the Vixen people told me they are putting out an illuminated polar scope for the Polarie finally sometime this year! I'm going to have to do more research on the Fornax and see how it compares. I would consider the AstroTrac but the 2 hour limit bugs me.

All I do when setting up an autoguided camera-carrying system for our guests is put a cheap guidescope (ST80 in my case but anything will do) onto the mount with a metal strip running between its tube rings at the top. This has a hold drilled in it so the camera screws to that. There's nothing to it.

Olly

Save yourself some grief and go for the HEQ5 its built for imagine.

Lol, I certainly understand where you're coming from but I know myself and the limits to where I'm going. I don't intend to buy a scope of any kind so the longest I'll ever go is 600mm but more often in the 200-400 range. Certainly the larger mount is more stable and possibly more reliable but it's overkill for the results I want. Maybe when my son grows up and I'm closer to retirement I might get something bigger that I don't have to carry around much.

One possibility that intrigues me is the Losmandy StarLapse system. It's part of a GM8 system but optimized for photo usage. 

All I do when setting up an autoguided camera-carrying system for our guests is put a cheap guidescope (ST80 in my case but anything will do) onto the mount with a metal strip running between its tube rings at the top. This has a hold drilled in it so the camera screws to that. There's nothing to it.

Olly

That's a good idea. I had not considered something like that. It's probably not doable with the 50mm mini but there may be some workarounds. I already have a vixen bar with a 1/4" screw.

Archived