NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

January 18, 2016: lunch H-alpha session

I had a more extended session with the SolarMax-II 60mm DS during lunch. The sky was a bit hazy, but detail was a great deal better than during the morning session. The big filament in the northwest is still going strong, with the DS set-up showing a lot of contrast. It has just turned filaprom, as the westernmost edge has moved beyond the western limb. South of it another long, thinner line of filaments shows. JUst east of centre disk, a bright plage area shows, several small dark filaments dot the disk, and on the eastern limb, the low structure seen on the limb yesterday has turned into a long thin filament, trailing some brighter areas. Quite a lot of detail.

A very nice description Michael, as you say a lot of detail.  I had a brief view this morning (through the view finder only I'm afraid in the two minutes I had, though glad to get anything) and nice to see that wonderful filament giving us a nice filaprom as it arrives at the W edge.  It would be good to see how it develops overnight and into tomorrow - but I don't think I'll be seeing it here.

Archived