Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Logitech Fusion Webcam and Win98SE

I've bought a Logitech Fusion-based astro web cam but I can't get it to work with Win 98SE which my laptop runs. I'd rather not upgrade the Windows version if I can help it (after all it's only 10 years out of date :D ) - does anyone know if the Fusion can be got to work with my ancient O/S or is it Windows 2000 and upwards only ?.

Cheers,

John

Have you loaded any drivers for it John. I would be surprised if it was not compatible with win98 second edition. I would try Logitechs website for 98 drivers.

Ron.

John, just had a look. Windows 2000 but not 98

Thanks for the replies Tony and Ron. I've downloaded and tried a number of drivers which purported to be W98SE compatible only to find that they either were not or that they installed but then did not recognise the Logitech Fusion which I now realise is a relatively recent product.

Is there such a thing as a generic web cam driver out there I wonder :D

John

I think therein lies your problem John. With the Logitech being a fairly new cam, there's a distinct possibility the drivers just won't work with W98.

Just a thought, but is you laptop running USB1 ports? I don't know if the fusion is USB2 only but my QHY5 cam is and I had to buy a powered USB2 PCMCIA hub so it would work.

Tony..

I know you probably will pooh pooh the Idea John, Is the laptop capable of taking XP.? If so, you could get a cheap OEM OS from a computer fair if you can locate one near you.

Don't know how much, but I don't think it would be too expensive.

Having read this back to myself, I know your answer. :D

Thanks for the further suggestions folks. I've decided to sell the Fusion (it sold within minutes !) and put the cash towards a Toucam Pro which I know does work with my rather elderly laptop.

No harm done and a gentle lesson to me to do a bit more research before buying things - especially IT things :D

John

Archived