NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Tripod adapter

zhgutas

Well I'm nearly done with putting together my puzzle now :D (ST80 for grab & go). Bought the Maplin case for it, as I saw jgs001 sweetened up his Konus 80 (plagiarism? :) ), nearly all the bits and pieces, only to find, that I won't be able to stuff the tube rings in there without sacrificing a lot of space :? Well, OK, I managed to squeeze them along with photo tripod, but it seams neither of them like it a lot. I mean, that's alright, I can live with it, just thought, would it be possible to attach a tripod adapter straight to the tube? (in a long run, no time to do it now :D ). Something like this would be much easier and faster to assemble, but I don't feel like swinging around with a drill.. And, would I lose some stability as well (less contact surface)?. All in all, is it worth it? :D

Cheers

Marius

The short answer is yes, you will lose stability.

But the ST80 is not very heavy or long so the instability will be minimal. Check the weight capability of the tripod, remembering to factor in your eyepieces.

As for is it worth it, it depends on what you are going to do with it I suppose? If its for quick peeks while on holidays, then I would say its probably OK.

Cheers Daz. The more important question for me now is "how". :D I now have the tripod adapter screwed to the rings, and it works alright, it's just the rings are bulky and take lot of space in a small bag :? and they scratched my tripod! :D I wondered how/if I could attach some sort of adapter straight to the tube (as in the photo above) and thus win some space, and, loose some weight as well (less contact surface-less rigidity, but less weight-less strain for tripod)

Marius

Have you thought of using only one tube ring. Skywatcher always fit that little camera mount widget on to one tube ring if you take it off the thread in the hole is the same as the tripod screw. I tried it as an experiment with my ST102 on a heavy tripod is sort of worked but the balance was tricky. An ST80 is much lighter. Just a thought.

Also what about putting the tube ring underneath the foam rather than in it.

If you do go drilling into the tube take the lens out first, make sure all the metal swarf is clean out before putting back. The drill bit will slip on the metal either use a centre punch to put a slight dent where you're drilling or use two short pieces of electrical tape in a cross shape centred on the spot. The bit will grip better.

Scotastro

Have you thought of using only one tube ring.

yeh I did, but since that "widget" does not have a central screw on top, all stuff gets veery wobbly :D About the rings under the foam.. I actually think they'd probably fit there! :) Although I'd have to take all the foam insert with all the accessories each time mounting the scope :D hm.. will try it anyway. Thanks for the tips Scot!

Marius

Archived