Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Moisture On Primary Mirror

I had an early morning session with the scope today (very cold) and got in at about 7.30.

I left the dust cap off the 10" dob so that the moisture could evaporate, but 5 hours later it is still there.

Should I just leave it alone in the cold garage and see what happens (probably will want to use it tonight) or bring it in the house to warm up or take a hair dryer to it?

If the hair dryer is the best option, should I lay the scope flat on the dob mount and blow down the tube or blow the hot hair at the mirror end?

If you want to use it tonight, perhaps put the tube level and blow the hairdryer down towards the mirror, just on a cool or warm setting, not hot. The air circulation should help clear the dew.

If you want to use it tonight, perhaps put the tube level and blow the hairdryer down towards the mirror, just on a cool or warm setting, not hot. The air circulation should help clear the dew.

I assume just leaving it alone (if I don't use it tonight and give it a chance to thaw out - so to speak) won't harm the mirror if the moisture doesn't go? It's quite a cold garage today.

I assume just leaving it alone (if I don't use it tonight and give it a chance to thaw out - so to speak) won't harm the mirror if the moisture doesn't go? It's quite a cold garage today.

My preference would always be to clear the moisture relatively quickly to prevent it accelerating any deterioration in coatings. A few nights won't hurt but over a prolonged period it is less good. If not using tonight I'd be tempted to bring it into the house to clear it

Thanks. I gave it a quick blow dry on a low setting as suggested and it cleared in minutes. Just left with a slightly dirty mirror that has accumulated some dust. Nothing major like a dead fly, so nothing to affect the view too much.

When I'm feeling brave, I might give it a clean, but know that isn't easy!

Archived