NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

First Guiding Effort - M33

I think it looks great. It has a lot of detail in there that can be brought out even more using levels and curves. That said when zoomed in a bit it looks that your focus was slightly off. If your camera has live view and a zoom feature I find that most helpful in focusing. That or using a Bahtinov mask to assist in focusing. Well done and your on your way!

When you take a photo, you open the shutter and expose the sensor to the object being images.  The photons of light will enter the sensor and be collected.   There is always a certain amount of rubbish that is also collected as well - this is the noise.  For normal daytime photography, you tend to capture a huge amount of light.  This is also true for the moon - Let's use the moon as an example, so that I can talk about magnitudes.  

So, the full moon is about Mag -12.6.  The sun is at -26.7.   So using this information you could say that the sun appears about twice as bright as a full moon (I'm being simple just to explain the photography info, not to be accurate)

So, if you doulbe the exposure time on your camera everything is good, and you'll get an image.  This can be seen as when you photo the full moon, you'll get exposure times somewhere around 250ms, in the range of daytime photography - that's why you can do it without a problem on a not tracking mount as the exposure time is just like taking a normal daytime shot.

However, M42 the Great Orion Nebula is Mag 4.  This is a very dim object in comparison to the moon or the sun.  So you need much longer exposure times.

As the shutter is open for longer, there is more opportunity for stray photons to hit the sensor - they're not desired, but you can't stop them.  There is also false positives that happen because of noise generated by the camera itself - heat, magnetic forces because of the electricity flowing, etc.  All of this adds up to degrade the image.  The longer the shutter is open the more of this noise is generated.

So, this is where the signal to noise ratio comes in.  As you lengthen the exposure time, you increase the noise collected.  But you also collect more signal as well.   If the signal to noise ratio is good, you'll get more signal than you will noise, so an image will start to form, the bigger the signal to noise ratio, the faster the image will form.  Or to put it another way, the brighter the object, the shorter the exposure time.

At this point, what I've just said is completely true for any kind of photography. They don't just just because you are pointing the camera at a different place.

Where astrophotography becomes fun is in the issues that you get in capturing the image.

The sky is a moving target - so as the exposure time goes up, you need to track and guide the camera to make sure that it stays on target.

As the objects are very dim, you'll need to have extremely long exposures.  Ideally, many hours of image capture to produce a single image.  As the planet rotates, you can't simply leave the shutter open for 24 hours, the sun would destroy all the nights hard won photons.

So, we take lots of shorter images, and stack them.

Capturing images for stacking, is again another thing, so the idea there is you take a sub frame - which would be the correct exposure for a image. So the sub frame makes the image bright enough to capture all the detail that you can get.  The longer the exposure you can capture the better - provided that you don't over expose the brightest parts of the image, as close to, but don't overfill it.   Then you take another and another.

The key here is that in each image, the signal (M42 for example) will be the same.  But the noise will be different in each sub-frame, by averaging the images, you can double that all important signal to noise ration.  Do this over and over and you can increase the signal to noise ratio even further.

I hope this helps explain things a little.  I know that I went off on a tangent.

Archived