NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Barlow Lens Help

gdfinch1985

Hello, 

This is my first post and I am interested in learning about barlow lenses. I have a x2, x3 and a x5. I have a bresser newton 130/650 EQ3 Telescope. I have managed to see jupiter,mars and Saturn through this within the recent weeks, but I do find a lot of the images I view are quite blurry. Is this normal? I have an array of eyepieces. 4mm, 6mm, 10mm, 12mm, 20mm and 25mm. What would be the best to use as a pairing as I believe my maximum magnification is x260. Thanks in advance. N.B. I have only been using a telescope for approximately 8 weeks so still trying to get to grips with it properly.

Hello, I am so glad you ask this question. I am sorry that I am not able to answer. I am new as well with a celestron 6e. I too would like to hear some responses to this. I have noticed that many in this forum are extremely knowledgeable and I enjoy reading their post, I hope someone will take the time to explain some of the simpler questions. I am in the southern cal area, and looking for some classes and possible clubs to help with  my new found appreciation to looking up. 

Derekus

Hi Guys and welcome to SGL :)

I just made a few comments on this in another thread to help a chap asking pretty much the same stuff. It's only beginner advice and others will have more to say - but I hope it helps you both for starters. Follow the link....

http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/260123-wide-angle-eyepiece-question/#entry2847576

Besides the barlows at x2, x3 and a x5, what make are the eyepieces?

If they were a kit then can you locate a link to the original kit.

Will say that in my opinion there is little chance of getting 260x from the scope.

I generally say that 130x should be delivered (= diameter) and that you may get to around 200x (= diameterx1.5). After that I suspect it is as they say in the lap of the gods.

I would expect the 6, 10, 12, 20 and 25mm eyepieces to be OK, depends on the type, the 4mm I would not expect much from. A good 4mm is sort of rare these days.

Why all the barlows, where did they come from ?

It seems a bit odd, and I would expect the x5 to be too much immaterial of the eyepiece used with it. One of the few that deliver a good output at that much are the TV items and then I suspect you are talking powermate rather then barlow.  You are also talking of £175.

One aspect usually overlooked is that you have scope+barlow+eyepiece. If any one item does not perform the remainder do not drag the result up, everything is dragged down. Also everything has to work with the item it is attached to. If the barlow was designed with an f/8 scope in mind it is not going to be best plugged into an f/5 scope. Same for the eyepieces, do they work well on f/5 scopes? Before you wonder why realise that Baader Hyperons at £90 each are not recommended for an f/5 scope, they do not perform well and usually people suggest f/7 or f/8 and slower for them. William Optics used to recommend that some of their eyepieces were not used below f/6.

The 10,12,20 and 25mm eyepieces came with the telescope as did the x3 Barlow Lens. I was given a x5 Barlow from a friend and the x2 I bought the other day after seeing images and reading articles where many people seem to use the x2 rather than any other. I saw Saturn for the first time this morning but was disappointed to see it rather small, maybe my expectations are far beyond what I will actually will achieve. I was curious to see how people manage to get clear images through an eyepiece rather than layer images (which I will be looking at doing for my next project/hobbie).

Archived