SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

first view of andromeda in my LP skies!

Found this finally with my binoculars but I couldn't find with the Dob and the 15mm EP due to difficulties operating it when homing in on a target directly above. The fine adjustments are hard when it's almost pointing straight up! ☺ thank goodness the clouds have briefly moved away...

You will most probably need a lot longer eyepiece than 15 mm to find Andromeda , try your longest eyepiece but for such a big object you would find a 50mm optical finder better. Sometimes the view can be more pleasing in binoculars to me , depending on sky conditions.

Good luck with tracking it down in your scope.

... difficulties operating it when homing in on a target directly above. The fine adjustments are hard when it's almost pointing straight up!

You found 'Dobson's Hole' then you found Andromeda! :-)

I still find that my ST80 gives the best views of M31 - from a dark site especially. It won't help you that it's almost straight up currently, but you should see it in the finderscope. The Orion Nebula is similarly easy to observe and most of it should fit into your FoV with the 15mm EP.

Paul

Had my first view of the Orion nebula and the trapezium shortly after - very nice indeed and a bit easier on the neck! Pleased to finally get some use out of the scope considering the filthy weather we've been having. ☺

Archived