NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Question on lunar filter or the prevention of the dark adaptation of the eyes

One reason I like solar wedges compared with objective filters is that in a worst case scenario if the wedge falls out of the scope when in use all you get is a warm leg, whereas if the objective filter falls off (blown, knocked or stupidly/ignorantly removed) when in use, the consequences are rather more serious. For the sake of an additional £80-100 for a used wedge it's worth the additional safety and better views.

Indeed. And the view is considerably better.

Bringing polarizing and non-solar filters into a discussion about solar observing makes me very nervous. People make quick visits to forums and don't always read everything...

Olly

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The subject was about the moon at the beginning but the sun came in while I was trying to understand what LukeSkywatcher said about the variable polarizing filter.

"A variable polarising filter is usually the reserve of solar observing.........(but works well on the moon also)."

I am still not sure about what he meant there. I thought the variable polarizing filter was an accessory to be used with a solar filter, to dim even more light while watching the sun.

It could be something else.

Watching the sun is dangerous, I agree with all of you but what more can I do now? I will use my AstroSolat solar filter knowing an accident can happen easily and I have the confidence it can used safely, in a safe environment. If as variable filter could be usefull with the AstroSolar filter then it's a bonus.

putting the visual grade film (Nd5.0 - this is the standard film sold) on your scope provides enough protection from the sun for observing. adding a polarising filter, variable or otherwise, or a baader solar continuum filter, simply increases apparent detail as it reduces (non-dangerous) glare. try holding any filter up to a house light and note the increase in details you can see.

the main thing is ensuring your film is secure and that you regularly check it's integrity as a unit (for e.g. damage / pinholes and maybe light leakage if the holder is bent or what have you) and that it is securely on your scope. I used to add rubber / elastic bands to my home made film filters when used with newts. that way you can bungee them around your focuser body etc to increase security.

Personally I find viewing the moon through a 12" physically painful almost regardless of magnification even though it does no damage. I usually use a ND96 moon filter which keeps things comfortable and does preserve some night vision. These are about the cheapest astro filters available so it's worth a punt. They make the sky at the terminator/ limb look really black as well. If you don't like them then it's nothing lost. Try Astroboot.

RL

• 2 weeks later...

thanks for your advices on safety Moonshane, ill make sure my solar filter is secure by all means. I ordered a variable polarizing filter from Orion, finally. Last time I had a bad time with my right eye with the glare situation, If it's not dangerous, is not good and it's definitely not pleasant, it can't be good by no means.

So.. filter should do the job to correct the solution. Fixed ratio moon filter seems like a bad idea to me even if I paid more for the variable, I felt I wanted the flexibility of the variable, way more for the various phases of the moon to protect my eyes always.

I see later if it's good. (;

Physicaly it's a nice filter it looks good.

Archived