HFG 1

jimao22

Hi,

I saw awhile ago a picture made by Kitt Peak observatory (4 m telescope) - https://www.noao.edu/image_gallery/html/im1110.html - and I was amazed by this nebula. So I give it a try with my impressive MN190 and I gathered some signal in OIII (the strongest signal of this nebula) and in Ha - 14.6 hours in OIII and 12.5 hours in Ha.

My set-up is MN190 on EQ6 w/EQMOD belt drive, ATIK314L+ mono, Baader filters and TS OAG, all inside my ROR observatory from my backyard.

The result is down below and is the result of another 3.5 hours of precessing with my friend, George (see the topic "A project for the soul" on Observatories).

The FWHM of the raw images were around 2.6 and roundness around 0.15 - not very impressive, I had better times.

post-10239-0-09924600-1451257574_thumb.j

The nebula is located in Casiopeea.

Thank you all for apreciate !

I have to admit I need a lot more signal, especially in Ha where some details are in the core of the nebula. Perhaps another 20-30 hours of exposures can bring out more details, but for the moment this target is on hold. We'll see next year...

Yes I discovered it was in Cass immediately after clicking your link! You already have a substantial amount of data on it, 27hrs, and that's more clear sky than we've seen here during the last 3 months so I'm not about to try for it myself any time soon ;-) You've captured the OIII halo well, and I can make out the Ha gas tail faintly - in fact all the major features shown by a much larger telescope.

ChrisH

My friend, George, played with the raw files I gave him and he obtained even a better result, in my opinion.

The Ha signal doesn't seems to be so weak anymore. Perhaps is just an illusion (like the song sais), but you can appreciate better than me.

post-10239-0-54807000-1451500179_thumb.j

Archived