Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Help!! - 28x110 Helios Bins

BevKillerB

• New Members
  • 1 posts

Hello, I'm new to this and need some help.

I have the Helios apollo 28x110 binoculars for Christmas put them up to look through and can't even adjust the eye pieces to fit my eye width.  They won't swivel like normal bin's...am I doing something wrong, is there a lock on them..? I have put everything into making them turn but don't want to break them. 

They don't come with any instructions so I really don't know what I'm doing wrong.

Any advice on the best tripod to put them on too, would be greatly appreciated. 

Thanks very much!

Hi there,

Congrats on the new binoculars.  I got the same back in November and published a quick review of my experience with them so far.  See the link in the previous reply.   I would be interested to know if you received any dustcaps for the main objective lenses as I didn't get any with mine.

Hi Phillip,

Yes I did get covers for both ends....and thanks for the link. 

I wondered, when I look through them I get a shadow through the middle of the 'scene', is this normal?  The right side seems to be further down than the left...I'm sure when i've looked through smaller bins the picture has been more whole and less disjointed.

Any advice would be welcome. 

Thanks,

Bev, 

Hi Bev,

The dark shadow through the centre of the FOV is because the Inter Pupil Distance or IPD needs adjusting,.   As I found along with some others the adjustment is very stiff and so you will need to be quite firm when you do this.   I managed to get just enough movement make it right for me so I don't intend to try and adjust it any more for the time being.

What I want to find out now it whether there is any way to adjust the collimation.  Occasionally I seem to get double vision with them.  Not all the time by any means but the first time I tried them I thought there was a slight collimation issue and then it seemed to solve itself.   Then again this morning looking at Venus at 9am I could see two distinct images but when I swung over to the Moon it was fine.

I also have a pair of 'cheap' Revelation 15x70s which offer collimation adjustment so I'm sure it must be possible.

What I want to find out now it whether there is any way to adjust the collimation.

The collimation screws are under the rubber armour over the cover plates. The adhesive used to hold the armour down loosens with a little warmth: I find the airing cupboard to be adequate. The collimating screws may well be under plugs of a rubbery substance which may need to be dug out. The collimation screws require a flat screw driver. They are adjacent to the cross-head screws that hold th ecover plate in place. The lower "lone" screw is the nitrogen-filling orifice: leave well alone.

Archived