NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Plate solving in PixInsight

Cloudy nights and full moon is natures way of telling us to play around with software.

Just tested the plate solver (imagesolver) in PixInsight on some of my widefield images.

(These aren't that wide of a field: taken with my 135 mm lens and Pentax K20D)

Works quite nicely

Why bother when Astrobin can do the same job for free? Just because I want to learn PixInsight :smiley:

Taken 12 dec:

post-46703-0-37949500-1451134158_thumb.j

(Had to do this one manually. But the documenation was helpful.)

And this one from yesterday (25 dec) Deneb under a full moon.

When I stretch hard enough, I can just about resolve  NGC 7000 (Norht America Nebula) from a full moon polluted stack of 10 subs @ 180 secs.post-46703-0-16658000-1451134659_thumb.j

(PixInsight managed to do this one by itself, despite some focusing issues.)

Clear Skies

Why bother when Astrobin can do the same job for free? Just because I want to learn PixInsight :smiley:

Not for long...although I like Astrobin, I don't think I can justify the cost (however small) for the occasional image I manage to get...

I have also used PixInsight's plate solving before seems to work quite well, isn't as cluttered as Astrobin's...i.e. the lines are nice and thin.

Archived