Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Microsoft Lifecam modification

jooli_ash

Hello,

Posted a while ago on the Microsoft Lifecam modification for astro use using Gary Honis' online instructions.

I completed the modification without any difficulties, including very neat housing from a rather horrid plastic Barlow lens which must have cost more to ship from China than it cost to make!

However, when I connected it in to the laptop, the camera didn't work (it did before I took it to bits) :-(

There appears to be no power getting to it, and occasionally I get the blue LED to flash on for a fraction of a second when trying to plug the little plug into the socket, although I can't seem to maintain a connection for any length of time at all. I thought this suggested a loose connection in the plug, and have spent some time tweaking the positioning of the prongs in the socket, to no avail.

Anyone else had a similar problem or can suggest what the problem might be? All a bit of an anti-climax!

Best wishes and happy Xmas to all!

Julian

I've just looked at the web page for this and unless you have been really unlucky desoldering the two leads from the board it's unlikely you have damaged anything. I can only comment on Windows, have you looked in device manager to see if it has recognized the webcam. Try plugging it in when looking at device manager and see if it recognizes it. If there are any yellow question marks showing in DVM then the drivers have not loaded properly and you need to try again. I hope this helps.

Ed.

Archived