Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

HEQ05 OR NEQ06 Mount

Hi All

I am after some guidance  as to which mount to get either the Heq05 or the more weighty Neq06. My observation site is in the local park which is 200 meters round the corner from my front door. I do have a hand cart in which I carry or should the be pull my equipment to the observation site. Although I  just purchased A SW ED80 PRO I do intend to complement  my set up in the future with a bigger or different telescope type.

I have the HEQ5 Pro.  There are pros and cons to both.  The HEQ5 is lighter, less bulky, the NEQ6 is able to take more weight.  Since you're not transporting it too far, you could use either.  I find the HEQ5 is fine for AP with guiding.

The HEQ5 will easily handle your 80mm refractor (about 4Kg?).  Max load weight on the HEQ5 is around 16Kg I believe.  I'm using a SW200P with various mods, a guide camera and DSLR, and the total weight comes in at around 13-14Kg, so I'm more or less at the limit.  If you expect to be carrying more than this with your expected setup, particularly if you expect to be using a greater than 8" newtonian, I'd go with the NEQ6, otherwise the HEQ5 Pro will be sufficient.  I'm quite happy with my setup.  I take it out to various events and out of town for imaging and I for one wouldn't fancy trying to lug an NEQ6 around.

Regards,

Craig

Archived