Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Balancing a scope with a DSLR attached

orfest

Hi,

I have Canon 600D and a Celestron C6, but when I attach the camera to the scope, there is not enough dovetail length to balance the system.

If I try to attach the camera for the eyepiece projection, the balance becomes even worse.

What would you recommend to solve this problem?

Balancing is to help the motors and gears. Less effort, better durability. You can work well with minor fault in balancing.

If you use only eyepiece, or eyepiece and barlows, or only camera, or camera and filter wheel, or camera and barlow or ... The perfect balancing only if you work with an unchanged set of accessories.

I made a counter-weight belt to attach to the end of the scope when reconfiguring my 9.25 between its standard config & with the hyperstar attached to the front, this way i don't have to rebalance each time i switch between each 'mode'.

I took an old belt made four pouches and atrtached them at 0, 90, 180 & 270 degrees on the belt to keep the weight even. I took the difference in weight and using leadshot divided it into four pouches & sealed them

The dovetail is marked, so i just load the scope and if i am not using the hyperstar i wrap the belt around the end of the scope. Whole thing came to £15 if that and works a treat.

Archived