NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Portamount Altitude Axis very loose

kerrylewis

The altitude axis on my Portamount has been getting gradually looser and now won't support the scope at all. I've tried tightening everything but to no avail. On another forum there are details of a fix involving removing the glued on plate with the logo on but I'm reluctant to attempt that until I'm sure it is what is needed. 

I've had the mount for a good few years so it's not a warranty issue. 

Has anyone had a similar problem and been able to fix it?

I didn't get any replies to this despite 90 views so I am assuming that it is not a common problem. In any case Mrs L has stepped in and Santa's helpers (aka FedEx) are bringing me a new AZ4 today! The Porta will then be a 'project'.

I like Christmas!

Hi Kerry,

Sorry you did not get responses to this one.

You could try contacting Pete Gamby of Opticron UK who are the UK distributors for Vixen. Pete is also a member here and a very helpful chap.

Here is the Vixen section of the Opticron UK website with contact details at the bottom:

http://www.vixenoptics.co.uk/

Congratulations on the AZ-4 - I found that it a very good alt-az mount with a little more capacity than the Portamount, especially if you have the steel legged tripod.

Hello John

I wasn't complaining about the lack of response, just assuming that that everyone else was luckier!

Thanks very much for the info - I will try contacting them

I have ordered the steel tripod for the AZ 4. I'm looking forward to having a new 'grab and go' set up

Kerry

Hi Kerry - if the tension adjustments have "gone" then there's no good fix for the problem as the slow motion units can not be disassembled and re-assembled cost-effectively i.e. the time taken plus the damage caused by "breaking" the unit open.

When covered under warranty we simply supply replacement slow motion units which are a user fit item. For non-warranty replacements, the cost for the Porta II slo mo is £22 plus whatever postage a dealer would charge.

HTH

Cheers, Pete

Hello Pete

I'm slightly confused. You say that there is no good fix for the problem, as I thought, without breaking open the unit. But if I obtain one of the replacement slow motion units that you mention will I be be able to fit it easily? I could get one form FLO presumably? If so, it seems to be a fairly cheap way of getting a standby mount.

I'm continuing this conversation 'in public' as I thought it might be useful for others

Thanks for your help

Kerry

The slow motion unit is removed by undoing four allen bolts that are underneath the Porta II logo label. The allen keys supplied with the mount will fit those bolts.

This means you either lose the label or have to carefully clean off the adhesive and reglue it - although usually the label gets stretched/damaged in the removal process. We can also supply replacement logo labels. You just need to request one at time of ordering the replacement slow mo unit.

Yes - you can order the slow mo unit through FLO or any Vixen dealer.

HTH

Cheers, Pete

Archived