Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Trying to get a streetlight shielded, not going to well.

Robp

I think you may struggle to get anywhere as it's not high in their priorities list.

Ican't tell from the photo but by judging your back garden pictures, the colours suggest that the lantern is not LED, but probably high pressure sodium.  Even if it was LED you would still have a bright source there which you will struggle to do much with, even with a back shield, due to its height.  I have had a quick look at the usual manufacturers and can't find that particular lantern to see what data is available. Most local authorities have specifications and listed the the manufacturer of the lanterns that could be used in their area or did a number of years ago. It was to do with ease of maintenance if one got knocked down or failed. It's probably changed since as local authorities probably have to be open and use any EU manufacturer for anti competition rules.

As for the back shield, I'm no expert but do work in the electrical industry and have never come across wind loadings and forces being an issue on external columns.  It looks like it is probably 6 or 8m, and as all are, will be designed and specified for to take certain lantern weights and wind loads.  I have seen back shields go in many times in private and public sector projects on columns upto 12m. They are nothing out of the ordinary so would question the forces that the council suggest would result in premature failure of the column.  They are very robust items.

It's strange. Highway Lighting will get the safety etc. card from the council and there is little you can do about it, but if a private installation doesn't tick all the boxes you are on a rocky road with the council.

Good luck.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not sure exactly how government works in the U.K., but you can take this issue just as far as you want. You could send an e-mail to the council, politely telling them that you are very displeased with their apathy and incompetence in resolving the problem of an honest, tax-paying citizen. Given this, next time the ballot arrives, you will be scanning the list for incumbents who will take the job of "public servant" a  little more seriously. You could also run for office yourself, if you wanted to!

You could try building an enclosure on your roof that would block out the light. Maybe you could get your scope up there without too much trouble?

Yours is the worst I've ever seen, and it's so clear that you're bearing the major brunt of responsibility for the "safety"/convenience of everybody else. My sympathies. We park our van twixt our street light and the scope, with the back hatch lifted, but I'll still be erecting a light shield on that with tent poles and tarp. Better will be if I can manage a lift system for the frame/tarp to hang directly behind the offending light, but we have to be careful. The police have pulled up on us more than once, probably from spying our laser finder.

23 hours ago, Subdeo said:

I'm not sure exactly how government works in the U.K., but you can take this issue just as far as you want. You could send an e-mail to the council, politely telling them that you are very displeased with their apathy and incompetence in resolving the problem of an honest, tax-paying citizen. Given this, next time the ballot arrives, you will be scanning the list for incumbents who will take the job of "public servant" a  little more seriously. You could also run for office yourself, if you wanted to!

You could try building an enclosure on your roof that would block out the light. Maybe you could get your scope up there without too much trouble?

In the UK planning permission would be required to build such a structure on a roof.  This would involve having a surveyor assess the work, neighbours having the right to make complaint if it affects their property, the local government can veto if it is against their remit and lots of money.

Archived