NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

help needed choosing a scope.

Hi all hope all is well,

just wanting to ask a couple of questions and to see if anybody actually as these scopes in question..

I'm looking at buying a scope (mainly for astrophotography) and a little bit of visual, i originally was looking to buy all brand new gear but then thought I'm going to go down the second hand route as i should be able to get more scope and mount for my money..

so basically my max budget at the moment is around £1200

I've seen a few scopes thats in and out of my budget but i was wondering to stretch my budget a little more to accommodate the other scope.

so the 4 scopes are that I'm seriously interested in are...

1. skywatcher evostar ed80 pro

2. skywatcher equinox ed80 pro 

3. skywatcher evostar ed100 pro

4. altair wave series 102mm f7 super triplet ed ( this is the expensive one)

they are all on heq5 pro mounts so the mounts are the same, they all have diagonals and other then the equinox have a finder scope.

I know the evostar ed80 pro seems to be highly recommended so that scope is a win win but at the same price is the equinox but comes with eye piece set and field flatter,

i think the 100ed would be a little bit to long and slow for the deep space objects I'm wanting to photograph so i think this one is out of the question if I'm honest but correct me if I'm wrong...

which then brings me to the altair this seems for the price a very very good setup and more then half price if brought new and is only a year old unlike the others that are 2-4 year old.

anybody had any experience with this scope ?

any input is gladly appreciated.

Darren.

Can any body help on this ? I've researched it loads and apart from the build quality on the equinox and shorter focal length that's the only things that is better but you don't get a finder scope... What about that Altair reviews on this seems very good would it be worth the extra money ?

Thanks Darren

If I was choosing between the 80ED's I'd go for the Equinox cos there's no difference between the glass (FPL53 and Schott crown), it has a lower focal ratio without a flatener, and an eye piece set is included, for the same price as the Evostar (flatenner extra to get f-6.25). It's the objective and f-ratio that's most important for the imaging you intend to do.

I think you've talked yourself out of the 100's but I think the HEQ5 Pro will handle them both - the only problem being you are using more of your weight allowance in the scope, reducing weight flexibility with other gear (cameras, guide scope, etc). But I don't see that as a biggie. For visual - I have the Altair 115ED apo and it's superb, and I understand from Altair the 102 apo is similar spec (though marginally better for imaging than mine they say).

You would need better eyepieces for the lower f-ratio scopes for observing - so they would likely cost a bit more than expected. But for me the Evostar 80ED package comes out tops at the price - especially with the great AN review on FLO's website. Difficult choice with not an awful lot in it - but that's the way I'd go. Hth :)

Archived