How big memory card?

Fenris

I was wondering what you would recommend, both in brand, size and speed on a CF card for eos 7d. I always shoot in RAW + L. I know it is recommended several small rather than one big. Right now i have one eBay 32 GB of some obscure brand. I was thinking sandisk 16 or 32 GB since i like the brand, but they are quite expensive. Over 100 USD for one! Any other quality brands that are reliable and not too pricy? And what combination of size/speed/brand do you recommend?

-----------------------

Dark matter(s)

Wow that is expensive for a card, I can get 128 GB for less than 100 USD here. I have spent a lot of time in Norway and know it is comparatively expensive there but that's crazy prices. I would look for a reputable ebay seller that will ship to Norway and buy one from them. A basic Sandisk 32 GB card should only cost you about 200 Krone.

I could buy from eBay, but i have had cards die on me, so i don't really trust they are "the real deal" even if it says sandisk on them. Yeah, crazy prices on cards in Norway, so i probably will buy international, the question is what and where. I have found tips for ok-priced shops in UK but the main thing is how much GB and speed i would need. I like taking startrails and just got my first mount, so i would guess anywhere from 30 - 400 pics in one session in RAW + L.

I guess it would depend on the length of your exposures. Just to throw some numbers out there so don't hold me to anything I have a Nikon 5100 set to RAW+fine, I have 176 images on my card right now most of which are aurora shots so about 15-20 second exposures and it has used under 5 GB of my 32 GB card. My camera is "guesstimating" I have room for about 776 shots left. I would guess a 32 GB card would suit you fine if your looking at about 400 images. I am not techy enough to advise on speed of card etc, my understanding is there is faster read/write capabilities but I have never had a problem with basic cards but I am sure someone will come along and explain the reasons why. I know Norway is not quite an EU country but I don't know how that stands with buying things from the rest of the EU, most places now will ship Europe wide, I tend to have more of an issue getting stuff delivered from England to the Scottish Highland's than I do buying stuff from Germany.

Hi Elven Warrior !

First off, memory card prices  - last time I was buying, 4, 8, and 32 GB cards were more expensive per GB than 16GB cards.

Secondly, how big are your individual RAW +  JPG star trails?

Multiply by 400 and that's the size you will need if you don't want to change cards.

Thirdly, high-speed cards shouldn't be necessary, unless the download time clashes with the intervals you want for the star trails.

Michael

As a professional photographer told me when I asked him why she didn't use larger memory cards.

How much data can you afford to lose.

I use 8GB cards, but they are getting harder to find. Time to move up to 16GB.

Also I don't reuse them. Just copy the data to a few different places from time to time.

Archived