Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Nexstar 6SE - T-Adapter - (Apparent)Field of view?

Hello Everyone,

I just received my first telescope(Nexstar 6SE) every and can't wait for the sky to clear up here in Norway. I have also bought some additional eyepieces which I think I know understand how works when it comes to magnification and field of view.

According to my understanding I can calculate the following:

Nexstar 6SE:

Focal length = 1500mm

Aperture = 150mm

Focal Ratio = 10

So with a 32mm eyepiece with a AFOV of 52 I get a 46,875x magnification and a FOV of 1,1 deg. (Is this correct?)

My two questions are:

1. If I add a 2x Barlow lens is that equal to calculation with a 16mm eyepiece? 

2. I also got a T-Adapter-SC (#93633-A) from Celestron so I can connect my Cannon 100d, however how would I calculate the magnification and FOV with this adapter and camera?

Hope someone can guide me in the right directions.

Br

Stian

http://www.12dstring.me.uk/fov.htm

Try this for the FOV calculation for your camera & scope.

Yes the Barlow effectivelt double to focal lenght of the scope. You get the same eye relief but often views are dimmed abit as there is more glass in the way.

Welcome to SGL, the 6SE is a very good scope, I had one and was well pleased with it's performance.

One addition you might consider is the 6.3 focal reducer from Celestron. Reasonably prices and would allow wider FOV for looking at DSO's and when using a camera allows you to be able to frame the whole Moon.

One addition you might consider is the 6.3 focal reducer from Celestron. Reasonably prices and would allow wider FOV for looking at DSO's and when using a camera allows you to be able to frame the whole Moon.

I concur.

I have a 127XLT which is just a C5 with a nicer paint job, (not quite a C6 in terms of aperture but much, much more feasable as a travelscope/grab-n-go). I also have an orange-tube C8.

I've bought many add-ons for the SCTs, including a Starlight Micro-focuser which is fantastic, but the focal reducer is the one item I really couldn't live without. Shifting to f/6.3 almost feels like the intended performance of an SCT to me. I am aware that the field of view does dim towards the edges and the field stop can get fuzzy in some eyepieces, but everything besides planets and double-stars which benefit from large focal lengths are much easier to detect and appreciate.

With the C6 you'll find that the baffle tube diameter limits your maximum field of view, so don't expect to use a 38mm 2" ultrawide and utilise the full field, it will be cut off slightly by the baffle. In practical terms, this means you need to do some maths and find some wide EPs with the same true FoV as your baffle tube can deliver.

I'd like to warn you off the Antares and Meade versions though; despite them often being thought of as the 'same' as the Celestrons they aren't, in my experience the Celestron model is easily the best, with the earlier Made in Japan versions better still.

Welcome to SGL.

I've had my 6SE for a year now and love it.

One of your next upgrades will probably be the mount. Especially for astrophotography.

You are on a slippery slope now, so enjoy the ride :-). I sure am.

Hi,

Thanks for the feedback. Excellent link!!

Just ordered the focal reducer :)

New mount is on the wish list but I guess for a quality mount I need to invest in something of good quality?

br

Stian

Archived