NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

How much weight do you need to balance SCT?

nmoushon

So I had a decent observing session last night in between the clouds but on setup I realized I cannot get my setup to balance on either axis. I have another 11 lbs. counter weight on order to fix one axis and know what equipment I need to fix the other. I'm considering this: http://www.admaccessories.com/MDS_counterweight.htm? My question is should the 3.5lbs be enough to help keep my scope balanced? I think it would as it doesn't seem to heavily one sided but just want to seem if others found it to be sufficient or not. 

Oh I'm running a 9.25" Edge SCT with 2" EPs. So it is back heavy at the moment and I'm not using an addition dovetail plate. Just the stock orange one that is on it so can only push it forward so much. 

Thanks in advance.

With my C9.25 I use the two 5.1kg weights which came with the EQ6 - one right at the end, and one two thirds up. When I attach the 80ED to the top of the C9.25 I put both weights at the end.

As for the OTA balance, I don't need it all the way back even with a 22mmT4 Nagler in. I do have an Astrozap dew shield on the front though.

Archived