Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Guiding advice ?

If it's possible, can anyone tell me what software I would need to just plug a USB camera into it and be able to guide with that camera ? I use CdeC and an astroeq box to enable goto on my EQ5 mount. I have looked on the internet but everything seems to need adapters and other things and I was wondering if there was another way to do it. Many thanks in advance.....Geoff

Presumably you want to image with your Canon.  In order to guide, normally you will need an additional scope, often mounted on top of your imaging scope. Many people use a finder scope for this - certainly it doesn't need to be expensive, but it is imperative that it is VERY firmly fixed to the main scope.  PHD is a free guiding programme which is widely used by people on this site.  It needs a camera which it will recognise for guiding (most USB windows based cameras will work), and a connection from your mount to your computer.  There is a lot of very good information on this in Steve Richards' book: "Making Every Photon Count" - he is a well respected member of this forum, and the book is a valuable from the site sponsors - FLO.

Hope this helps.

Chris

Archived