Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Imaging with Nexstar Evo 8

Hi all,

I've been enjoying the Evo 8 for the last few months for mainly viewing only. I've started looking at astrophotography now too. I realise that I'm never going to get ideal results due to not having a equatorial mount or wedge for the scope but wondered if anyone else had any reasonable success stories with doing some basic imaging? If anyone has any, some motivational examples would be great!

I captured Orions Nebula over the weekend, which was fantastic to see, however was limited to 5 second exposures due to the F10 focal length. I've got a reducer in the post, which I'm looking forward to testing out.

One major question is whether when Celestron release a wedge for the evo 8 (they've told me they will), is it worth getting it or should I simply start saving for a scope that has an equatorial mount?

It's a truly awesome scope for observation. I've had a dabble at some very basic imaging, however this consists of planetary with an ASI120, didn't have much joy with my DLSR as I couldn't tweak video capture settings as it seems there is no manual mode for video on my camera. 

Anything DSO is incredibly tricky being limited to very short exposures and with the scope being F10. Don't get me wrong I can pick up the brighter DSOs with the DSLR but not even close to being in the same league as faster scopes on a EQ mount. I've also got a the reducer but have only used it for Solar and lunar imaging to get the full disc in one frame. I use it visually for larger DSOs so it does have more than one use! 

I pondered around getting the HD Pro wedge, some people get along with it however a lot of others really don't. I'd say if you can pick one up for £200 second hand then it's worth a shot as you will be able to re-sell it for the same price if you don't like it, but I wouldn't pay retail price for it as an extra month or so of saving would get you a half-decent second hand EQ mount.

I'd go for planetary in the meantime which the scope is perfect for and save for an EQ mount or a cheap wedge. What I've done is started saving for a EQ mount then carried on saving for an WO Star 71 and now I've continued saving for a better camera! 

Best of luck with your decision! 

Welcome to the slippery slope of Astronomy  :smiley:

I started out much the same as you but with a NexStar 6SE. Got some reasonable images of the Orion Nebula and got hooked.

I quite like my 6SE for now but upgraded the mount considerably. The az-eq6 is overkill but boy is it ever stable. 

I got the mount mainly because I know I'm going to get a better scope in the future. 

I considered getting/making a wedge but  decided that I would probably outgrow it quickly.

I also got the reducer and like it a lot. Really great to get the entire moon in the frame now.

Get the most out of what you have and then decide what equipment is limiting you. 

Enjoy

Archived