Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Eyepiece projection or prime focus for Jupiter

I was wondering which method is more likely to give me good results?

I would like to attempt to image Jupiter tonight (if the clouds clear like they are supposed to) with the Celestron Edge HD 8" and was wondering what would be the best method.

I have a 40mm Plossl celstron EP, 2.5x  Televue powermate barlow and the tele extender. (I also have the Pentax zoom EP but it doesn't fit into the tele-extender since it's too fat). I presume I can only use the EP with the teleextender.

The other possibility would be perhaps via 2.5x barlow and without the EP? But not sure how to get the distance right for focusing.

Camera is Nikon D750 and will take videos then use registrax/PS etc.

Any advice?

thanks, gfa

No opinions? It seems that some think there is no need for EPP photography if prime focus is available since the result should be the same. Is this true? Others swear by EPP. I can't work out whether optically, there is an advantage in EPP over prime for planets.

I tried to EPP on the moon (it's funnier, if you say it out loud :) and videos worked very well but photos were out of focus for some reason. Not certain why, perhaps some movement when mirror on my DSLR moves...

Shouldn't both ways be roughly identical (due to same amount of light gathered) or does resolution come into play? 

Still scratching my head with this one but I guess not many people are into planetary (or if they find a good way, they stick to it).

Archived