Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

sizes of polar scopes

I am new to this and have recently bought a Skywatcher EQ2-3 Pro mount. Being one of the older generation, with a bad back, I am keen to carry out the polar cam mod by Dion using my SPC900NC webcam. Is the polarscope in this mount smaller than the one in the NEQ6 he uses. I hope it is as it as using the plumbing parts he uses results in a very loose fit. The diameter of my polarscope's eyepiece is less than 30mm and the plumbing part's ID is 32mm. I will have to apply some tape to the inside of the end stop to get the fit right.

I am in the same position as you, back-wise.

I have just taken delivery of one of these:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00296A8SM?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

And picked up one of these from B&Q:

http://www.diy.com/departments/floplast-push-fit-waste-access-plug-dia32mm-black/136741_BQ.prd

And am in the process of drilling holes/gluing etc. to fit these together. The cap is a little larger that the diameter of the Polarscope eyepiece, so I have lined the cap with a strip of plastic cut from one of those pre-packed  sandwich meat trays you get in supermarkets, using a smear of Bostick to hold it in place. I left it pushed onto the eyepiece overnoght to make sure it set in accurately.

I'll post a pic when finished.

Neil.

If anyone else is considering this adaption, the old Canon B and the Nikon DR3 are both old Right angle finders and can be found reasonably cheaply on the Bay, the process of adaption is a little easier, as both finders have a round boss fitting where it attached to the camera, rather than the new models which have a standard square fitting, could make things a bit more awkward to fit :)

Here are some photos of my recently constructed right-angled finder, using the bits from post #2. I cut off about a third of the pipe cap in order to get the eyepiece closer to the polarscope. As the cap is slightly tapered it meant that what's left fits snugly onto the polarscope eyepiece without the need for packing. I cut a large hole in the end, leaving enough plastic to glue one of the adapters on. I kept the Canon adapters and used one of the other ones to glue over the hole, having first cut/filed the -er- flanges(?) off in order to present a flat surface for glueing. It all works a treat.The final image shows the assembly attached to a typical SW polarscope.post-30409-0-41083200-1445773324_thumb.jpost-30409-0-79620800-1445773348_thumb.jpost-30409-0-07941800-1445773399_thumb.jpost-30409-0-59423000-1445773421_thumb.j

Archived