NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

ACP image acquisition and power managment

alan4908

In order to increase my imaging throughput, I've recently decided to going down the ACP + Scheduler image acquisition route.  The plan is to have a 24 x 7 operation whereby I input some targets and if it's a clear sky I'll get various images taken throughout the night. Since I don't want to have my equipment permanently powered on, I require some form of power management system that can be controlled by ACP.

It seems that some US based ACP users are using a digital loggers switch (www.digital-loggers.com/lpc.html) however, I'm uncertain if this would be suitable for use with UK mains voltages ?  I'd also be interested to hear of any alternative recommendations - presumably any ASCOM controlled IP power switch would be suitable ?

Alan   

According to the Spec. Sheet (which is a little ambiguously worded!) you should be OK to use this in the UK with suitable mains AC adaptors:-

Input and Outlet Rating UL, CSA 15A, 120VAC only

Power Supply Rating 90-240V, AC/DC Autosensing

It looks like the yellow text above refers to the current rating  - namely '15A at 120VAC only' hinting at a reduced current rating for a higher voltage (230VAC here in the UK).

I'd contact the manufacturer direct and see what they have to say.

Similar devices are available in the UK although these are normally only 4 port. There is a USB software controlled switch made by Energenie but I have had two of these and returned them for a refund - the first had loose plastic bits inside (common according to reviews) from transit damage and the second had an intermittent USB port so be careful if considering one of these.

Thanks Steve

I'll contact digital loggers and see what they have to say about UK use. If it's OK then I'll probably go for this since various ACP scripts have already been developed for this product. If it's not OK then I'll investigate the Aviosys product a little more.  

Alan

Thanks Mike - I've had a response back from digital loggers and the product is not recommended for use in the UK (due to the socket ratings). For those that might be interested, they recommend their C13 product for UK use: (www.digital-loggers.com/220.html). 

I've also explored a few more options and come across two interesting products from lunaticastronomical: the firefly (http://www.lunaticastronomical.com/FIREFLY-relay-box) and platypus (http://www.lunaticastronomical.com/epages/LunaticoUSA.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/LunaticoUSA/Products/ACNSEL03). The firefly incorporates 8 relays and the platypus controller is ASCOM compliant and apparently compatible with ACP (along with CCD commander etc). 

Alan

Archived