Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Anyone own an AE AC656 Colli-Mate Deluxe EP?

Seraph_69

Hi, if anyone owns one of these (now pretty much impossible to get hold of!):

http://www.scopesnskies.com/prod/astro-engineering/colli-mate/ac656.html

Would you mind snapping some pics of the instructions that came with it?

Apparently they are worth the price tag on their own! I have a similar item from FLO, but it doesn't come with instructions and I have a feeling I'm going to need some!

I'm aware there are plenty of other docs out there to show me Cheshire collimation, but I really would like a copy of the astro engineering one if possible.

Would be greatly appreciated! Thanks

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

I'm sorry I can't help with having a set of original instructions for this Cheshire-sighting-tube. But I do wish to say: This is the strangest ad for such a device I've ever seen. By this I mean it's for a Cheshire combo sighting tube. It's not for some proprietary marvel from a secret NASA science-lab that's discovered the Holy Grail of astro-physics. I sincerely doubt that the instructions contain some new miracle that will prove that no telescope on Earth has ever achieved true collimation due to a lack of being collimated with this particular item.

I note that it has done one thing that's already that's quite unusual: Your thread hasn't been answered in a timely fashion on a subject that usually would have drawn at two or three responses by now. And I can only guess why that might be, such as how I would react if I found this when I was actively looking to purchase a Cheshire sighting-tube. My reaction would be to ignore it and look for a different vendor who wasn't trying to sell me three magic-beans in exchange for my families' cow.

I suggestion to you is to do likewise if you are in need of one of these to collimate your telescope. FLO has two different models of these available and most likely in stock. And a member of this forum has written an excellent, and lucid with illustrations, guide to do the task. The link is below. Do let us know if you should find the magic-beans. Perhaps you could post them?

Clear and well-collimated skies,

Dave

http://www.astro-baby.com/collimation/astro%20babys%20collimation%20guide.htm

I'm sorry I can't help with having a set of original instructions for this Cheshire-sighting-tube. But I do wish to say: This is the strangest ad for such a device I've ever seen. By this I mean it's for a Cheshire combo sighting tube. It's not for some proprietary marvel from a secret NASA science-lab that's discovered the Holy Grail of astro-physics. I sincerely doubt that the instructions contain some new miracle that will prove that no telescope on Earth has ever achieved true collimation due to a lack of being collimated with this particular item.

I note that it has done one thing that's already that's quite unusual: Your thread hasn't been answered in a timely fashion on a subject that usually would have drawn at two or three responses by now. And I can only guess why that might be, such as how I would react if I found this when I was actively looking to purchase a Cheshire sighting-tube. My reaction would be to ignore it and look for a different vendor who wasn't trying to sell me three magic-beans in exchange for my families' cow.

I suggestion to you is to do likewise if you are in need of one of these to collimate your telescope. FLO has two different models of these available and most likely in stock. And a member of this forum has written an excellent, and lucid with illustrations, guide to do the task. The link is below. Do let us know if you should find the magic-beans. Perhaps you could post them?

Clear and well-collimated skies,

Dave

http://www.astro-baby.com/collimation/astro%20babys%20collimation%20guide.htm

Wow, quite a long winded response to a simple question?

If you read the post you would see that I already own one of FLO's Cheshire/sigh tubes as I stated. I simply wanted to know if anyone had a copy of the AE Cheshire instructions lying around that I could use as I have heard they are extremely well written and detailed.

I have found that most of the Cheshire collimating instructions I have looked at thus far have either been conflicting or confusing...or both.

I have actually had quite a few conversations with the guy who used to head astro engineering, he's a great guy and I'm sure if he had anything to do with helping write the instructions, that they would have been a valuable asset to a confused beginner like myself?

Not sure there is any need to sit here and rip into him/the company/whoever had said the instructions were worth their weight in gold for a newbie like myself?

I'm not sure I/he/we ever stated that they were some magic solution to collimation that would solve world peace while they were at it either...

If you could drop him an e.mail and see if he could provide you with a copy of the instructions. He may well have written them himself. They appear briefly with Robert (I think it's him ?) in this movie on the device:

I seem to recall having one of the devices at sometime in the past. It was a decently made cheshire collimator but I can't recall the instructions being anything that special :icon_scratch:

Astro Baby's guide is considered one of the best around.

Yep, that's him, fantastic guy, really nice. Shame his business went under as they made some great stuff.

I hadn't actually thought to email him directly to ask but tbh I have pretty much successfully figured it out myself now.

I posted the request before I even got started with my Cheshire, and as most would agree, stuff starts to make a lit more sense once you actually start doing instead of just reading about it.

Thanks anyway for your help guys and I may still contact Robert just to see if they can teach me anything new about collimation.

When I took my scope out the other night, I got a fairly bright star focused in my 9mm EP, and did the whole star test thingy, the 'airy discs' seemed pretty concentric, however, when actually in focus, I seemed to have what looked close to the little 3 lines coming off in 1 direction, which is shown in astrobabys guide as pinched optics I believe. Hoping its not that and more just a case of slight miscollimation coupled with not perfect seeing or me being Rubbish at getting stuff in focus properly. Or all 3!

...very hard to say as I have only had 1 observing season and therefore don't have the experience to know yet.

At F/5 in a 200mm Newtonian, you'd be at 111X with a 9mm EP. Not a high enough magnification for a good star-test. Or high enough to diagnose a pinched-optical mirror either. So don't worry about it.

Collimation become a simple matter once you've done it successfully a first time. Pull a champagne cork and celebrate rather than pulling your hair out! :p

Good job,

Dave

At F/5 in a 200mm Newtonian, you'd be at 111X with a 9mm EP. Not a high enough magnification for a good star-test. Or high enough to diagnose a pinched-optical mirror either. So don't worry about it.

Collimation become a simple matter once you've done it successfully a first time. Pull a champagne cork and celebrate rather than pulling your hair out! [emoji14]

Good job,

Dave

Dave now you mention it, I do remember reading somewhere that there is a rule of thumb to be followed for star testing.

I can't remember what you had to multiply out to get the answer, but for my scope it was about 200x mag then 400mag which were suggested. I guess this is why I have heard you need very good seeing conditions for star tests! 400x is high! [emoji33]

Archived