Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Beginner needs advice

Hello,

As the title suggests I am a beginner. Like most beginners I want to buy the best telescope for myself. I have started reading all the information I can find on telescopes. 

Some of the sources I have read are:

I live in a suburban area. This is where I will use it most of the time. On humid nights I can see up to 13 stars when it's full moon. 

What I would like to do with the telescope.

- See other planets in our solar system. (I don't think the moon is a benchmark since I can see that all the telescopes are capable one way or another)

- Or some stars on clear nights? If possible...

Buying a telescope makes me want to travel to places. Once or twice every year I would like to go on a travel to a place where there is no or less light pollution and take the telescope with me.

- To be able to see deep sky objects like other galaxies, star clusters, binary stars and nebulas.

My budget only allows me to buy these telescopes mentioned below in my country. I cannot get it shipped from another country because of the high taxes.

At first I have looked into this one. 

1)Refractor

BRESSER MESSIER AR-152L/1200 EXOS-2 GOTO HEXAFOC

2)Reflector

Then for almost at the same price people told me to go with a reflector one because of the aperture size and many other bonuses. I have now 2 options for that.

3)Catadrioptric

Then with a little bit of research I have read about Catadrioptric telescopes. Honestly this one below seems very easy to travel with. But I have doubts about the quality.

Here on this website:

There is a section:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CATADIOPTRIC REPORT CARDS FOR VISUAL USE
(used in excellent seeing conditions and with no light pollution; adapted from Astronomy Magazine):

E = excellent; VG = very good; G = good; F = fair; P = poor.

Small aperture (3.5" to 5") Schmidt- and Maksutov-Cassegrains:
Price range: $500-$4300
Portability: E
Ease of setup: VG
Ease of use: G+
Performance on the Moon: E
Performance on comets: F
Performance on double stars: G
Performance on galaxies and nebulas: F
Performance on planets: G
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is 5" so the performance of this thing on nebulas and galaxies are FAIR. Does that mean that this thing won't see a thing(or won't like what I see) when I try to see some galaxies or nebulas in deep sky with a 5" catadrioptric telescope?

I think what I want is an all rounder telescope which does a bit of everything and at the same time would not upset a beginner like me with what I see.

Theoretically I know the differences of aperture size and some other features. But at this price range I do not have the experience and the deep knowledge to compare the catadrioptric and reflector telescopes I mentioned above for the my purpose of use.

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks.

Let me get in quickly and say SLOW DOWN.  You want a telescope that's great, there are lots of people here that have them and love them to bits.  The sky will still be there tomorrow night and the night after, so don't rush into getting a scope.   I like that you've done your homework, so let's keep going on that track.

There will be an astronomy society near where you live - it's a very popular hobby ;)

Before getting all into the geeky side of refractor v reflector v Cat, get yourself along to your local society.  Try to get talking to people that already own telescopes - doesn't matter if they're the sizes that you are talking about,  just get to see the different types in operation if you can.   This will allow you to get some idea visually if the differences between the types of scope that you want.  They all have strong points, and weaknesses.  The question is more about which you prefer, and there's really only one way to find that out.

If you can't find an astro society, there's likely an astronomy shop that can help out although you won't get a nighttime viewing from them (normally)

Why do you want to burn your money on Go-To? Are you planning astrophoto? If you are it's a totally different story. But if you're planning visual, then why not getting a decent Dob like Messier 8" Dobson or even Explore Scientific Ultra Light Dobsonian 254mm? They are within your budget and you'll save some extra money on quality eyepieces. YMMV.

Why do you want to burn your money on Go-To? Are you planning astrophoto? If you are it's a totally different story. But if you're planning visual, then why not getting a decent Dob like Messier 8" Dobson or even Explore Scientific Ultra Light Dobsonian 254mm? They are within your budget and you'll save some extra money on quality eyepieces. YMMV.

I'm a beginner and I'm glad I got a GoTo mount. It helps immensely with setting up the scope, helps confirm what you're looking at and is great for showing you new objects when you're struggling with a star chart. It keeps it fun in the early stages when frustration could easily put someone off. If you can afford it, I would recommend it.

Sent from my GT-I9100P using Tapatalk

Archived