NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

big binos

johnathan

I'm interested in getting a pair of big binos. The myauchi(?sp) 25x100 look good but as I've never looked through big binos at all I wonder if anyone could give me a wee bit of info on bigbinos and preferably people who possess them. Cheers Johnathan

I've never used big bino's but I do know that they are heavy.

You WILL need a tripod to put them on as the arms can only hold so much and the magnification involved will be quite shakey without a tripod.

Ant

I've just bought a pair of 15x70's. They came yesterday and they definitely need tripod mounting (I bought the adapter with the bino's and I already have a camera tripod). I didn't get much of a look last night and I'm out with the Newt tonight but as soon as I can I'll do a first light on them. From what I saw hand held though last night I can see me using them an awful lot. Pinpoint stars and 4 degrees FOV........ :angry: . I've put the FOV on Starry Night Pro and I can actually get the whole of M31 in.

I'm not familiar at all with that particular make and couldn't locate too much online.. have you got a link? :(

Big binos are definitely HUGE.. my 22x100s are every bit as long as the OTA on my 8" SCT. :shock: The views are absolutely stunning, though, and using both eyes definitely increases contrast via the improved eye-to-brain coordination.

In hindsight, I wish I'd have held out for binos with angled, interchangeable eyepieces. Mine are very difficult to use at the zenith and many times I've wished that I could kick up the power. Nonetheless, they're still fabulous. :angry:

I too have big binos (25x100's)

Some of the views that i have had through these are some of the best i have ever had.

Remembering that i have had the opportunity to look through big SCT's APO's big Newts

"some of the best" is quite a statement to make.

And one that you only make when having learnt to use the "big bins" properly. (took me ages)

I have to agree with Talitha when she says that in hindsight i too would have went down the road of the angled versions.

I am on the look out for a set of Vixen 5" angled binoculars this summer.....

Hi Jamie, Tell me more about those Vixen 5 inch binos. Do they have the angled eye pieces? Also I note with interest that you said it took ages for you to learn how to use big bins properly. Before I splash out please tell me re the diffs you encountered using big binos? Cheers Johnathan (in sunny Belfast for a change)

Hi Johnathan

Here is a pic of the said Vixen binos i am after.

10646-L.jpg

As where learning to use those big bins correctly is concerned you really have to learn to focus one eyepice then the other (simple i know) but then you have to train yourself to relax your eyes to the point of just before they go out of focus at that point everything just jumps into focus and then your brain pick up all sorts of detail you didn't realise was there (in just about everything you look at)

Hi Jamie, thnks so much for the pix of that huge pair of binos- I must say they look superb. Are they the biggest that Vixen do? I know that Fujinon do Binos with objectives measuring a massive 150mms but they are totally inflated price wise ie I think between £5000-£10000 so way beyond my financial limits. If you don't mind me asking how much were you're Vixens? Cheers Johnathan

Johnathan

I don't have a pair of these yet.

I was just showing you a pic of what i was after for myself.

They are priced in US dollars at $3200 Tripod and fork mount included....

Oh and as far as i know these are the biggest that Vixen do. But

They might well do bigger....

Hi jamie, If you get those Vixen binos please let me know what 1st light was like. If I buy a pair of binos I'll have to come over to England to get them as I live just outside Belfast. However I wonder if its safe enough to send big binos thru shippng (as its known). I'm sure if a bought a pair from the USA it would cost a fortune to send them over. Cheers Johnathan

Archived