NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Starlight Live V1.0

Paul81

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Paul

Morning we have success, took me a while to understand what they were saying but eventually a light went on in my head and the camera connected firts go.

So all I have to do now is find out how to use Starlight Live. Uphill struggel for me.

Anyway a big thanks from me, I realise you must be very busy so to spend a wee while sorting me out is really appreciated.

Keep up the good work and all the best

Tam

A bit confused.. So if I am using an X2c, do I now use Starlight Live 1.0 or do I still use Lodestar Live v.12 with my camera? In the future will there still be two separate software titles for the cameras? Sorry, feel stupid asking the questions but just not sure.  Thanks 

As I understand it, StarlightLive v.1.0 is the same as LodestarLive v0.12 with a few minor bug fixes plus the ability to also recognize and connect to other SX cameras. So for Lodestar cameras the to are the same except for the fixes of a few bugs we've never even noticed.

I don't know about the future.

--Dom

Dom is correct - think of starlight live 1.0 as LL V0.13 but it's just changed name.

From now on its Starlight Live so you only need to grab and use that.

I was very split about changing the name....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just want to chime in my appreciation for all the work Paul puts in helping folks to debug and use his freeware application here. Truly an amazing resource to the community.

As an aside, I had a chance to do a quick first light under kind of iffy skies with StarlightLive v1.0 and my brandy-new mono Ultrastar, and I can report that the app worked flawlessly for me. Stacking of both 10 and 15 sec subexposures worked beautifully up to about 30 subs (as far as I bothered to go). I also really like not having to remember to press the "set exposure" button after changing the exposure time. Somtimes its the little things...

For the feature backlog - it would be nice if the main light frames tab and the focus/framing tab saved their exposure time values separately. Right now if I'm running 15 sec for light exposures and I switch over the F/F to tweak the position or focus, I have to reset the exposure down to eg 1 sec, then back up to 15 sec when I go back to light frames. Another little thing, but figured I'd mention it.

I was very split about changing the name....

Like seeing a daughter changing her name when she gets married...

The acronyms tell the story better. SLL is all that LL  has been but brings all its wonderful  benefits to more cameras.

And some diehards may just keep calling it Super Lodestar Live.

Cheers!

--Dom

Thank you for the kind words Alex - I have put your request on the change list as thinking about it I do the same!

Dom - Super Lodestar Live - I like it - reminds me of the good days of Super Nintendo (teenage years...) [emoji3]

Many thanks Paul! Looking forwarding to giving this one a try asap. Adding the time/date stamp in the FITS header is most appreciated! Is the time stamp the middle of the the exposure or the end of the exposure?

Also:

- Allow multiple connected cameras

Would this allow for instance both a X2 Color and Mono?

The FITS time and date are when the exposure is saved, which for all intents and purposes is at the end of the exposure after it has been completely read from the CCD.

The multiple cameras will allow both a mono and colour, but in two separate sessions of the application - i.e. data from two cameras will not be combined into a single image.

There should be a new version of Starlight Live going up soon (V1.1) - it only adds the camera connection updated to solve the SX-825 connection issue. I have been quite busy working on the stacking updates but this will still be at least a few weeks before its ready for release.

The multiple cameras will allow both a mono and colour, but in two separate sessions of the application - i.e. data from two cameras will not be combined into a single image.

Multiple cameras and command-line launching would indeed be very welcome Paul. (I assume two identical mono cameras would also work, but how would you distinguish the one from the other ?).  Then I could launch them simultaneously and stitch them together myself in my ImageJ script (which I now use with dual Atik cameras, distinguished by their serial numbers).

I have v1.1 but could not find a list of command-line arguments apart from the force-sx-pid 0x0189 you mentioned. I tried the usual "help", "?" and other variations of listing command line arguments, but perhaps that hasn't been done yet ?

There will be a camera information display on the exposure tab with which camera is connected. The app will automatically connect to the first camera that isn't taken by another instance.

I haven't documented the command line argument as they are only there in case of trouble... The most useful being '-enable-logging'

Paul

Archived