Books

Hello Everyone,

I am looking at getting a book or two from the local bookshop (Can't wait for Amazon, impatient) I am not sure which book to go for:

Turn Left at Orion

Dummies guide to StarGazing

I saw a youtube video last night (Can't remember which) and they said about a book that you can write in and make notes with a pencil. So basically, I am new to this hobby and looking for a good book or two that will help me get started.

Hi Andrew. It really depends on what you are looking for. If you are wanting a general book about getting started in astronomy then I would recommend The Backyard Astronomers Guide. Expensive, but lots of useful information. If you want a book to help you locate objects then Turn Left At Orion comes highly recommended on this forum. A sky atlas that I would recommend for beginners is The Pocket Sky Atlas by Sky and Telescope. There are lots of great books out there and often it is a matter of personal choice. Have a good browse before deciding.

I would certainly go along with "The Backyard Astronomers Guide" Dickinson/Dyer. A book with a general overview of the subject "Skywatching" David Levy. There will be many other suggestions I am sure, but at least you will know these books are both informative and worth the investment, being recommended by forum members :)

I would avoid the Dummies Guide, they are not that good.

Also have a good look first at the book and decide if it suits you. I have found that some do and some do not. What information is contained in the book and how the information is presented is a bigger factor then you often realise.

Additionally if you have close to no idea on things do not discount the ones aimed more at the younger market, they will have stuff written and presented on the presumption of no prior knowledge. The number of times I have picked up a book titled "A beginners introduction to abcde", and found that it actually is aimed at third years degree students is amazing. Some I am sure require you to have completed the degree and to be starting on a PhD, but they are still "A beginners ...."

Hi Andrew,

Welcome to SGL. Here's another vote for 'Turn Left at Orion' it's great for helping to find out what's around to view and how to find it. It's also worth downloading a copy of Stellarium. If you think the astro-imaging bug will bite you, it's worth buying a copy of 'Making Every Photon Count' before you buy anything else, it will save you a fortune in the long run.

Clear skies.

Ian

Archived