Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Good observing locations near (but not too near!) Edinburgh?

abodee2

Anyone know of a good observing site to set up around or just outside the Edinburgh area? So far i've just been setting up in a quiet part next to the Royal Observatory of Edinburgh on Blackford hill, but this isn't really great since people walk past quite often.

Hi,

I've been wondering the same thing since I decided to finally take up the sport a couple of months ago. Still have no answer but here's where I'm at just now...

For the pliedes meteor shower last month I headed up to bonaly (head for the scout camp but turn right before you get there and follow that single track road to the end). Good darkness, I could make out the faint milky way after a while although the field of view was a bit limited.

Secondly I had the idea that somewhere along the east coast might be an idea as there's no street lights out to sea! Turns out maybe I wasn't far out with that as I found out Central Scotland Astronomy Group are holding a star party soon at Yellowcraigs, North Berwick. I did a quick surf on Google earth and found a decent looking car park at a place called ferny ness nr aberlady. I'm assuming you drive but if not there's a bus stop too. If the skies are clear tonight as forecast I might head out for a bit. If so I'll report back

Howdy, Harperrig Reservior is where its at round here.

A70, a few miles past the Kirknewton turn off, there's a car park for the reservior to walk from for ramblers, turn headlights off if approching, usually some folks around with scopes.

Another good on eis the Whiteadder area in the Lammermuirs if you fancy a drive down there. Both pretty darl, as good as it gets in the central belt anyway.

I'm in Penicuik, my view out the front (South is straight into my streetlights - Im bottom of the hill, my view north is right over Edinburgh so bad LP.

Cheers for the heads up bud, some may like to keep their secret knowledge to themselves but to share it with others is enlightened! I had also toyed with idea that there must be somewhere off the lang whang maybe near the old RAF base so to hear about the reservoir helps a lot. I'll probably do a reccy in daylight so I know when to turn off the headlights!

Whiteadder also looks good. I really didn't fancy blindly diving around farm tracks and risk getting shot at by farmer Giles or bumping into Stan Collimore;-)

Archived