NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

freezing sharpcap with asi 174 usb3

chrisg18

I've been having similar problems with SharpCap/ASI174MM, but I persevered and now it seems reasonably stable. I did have to mess around with the USB speed to reduce the number of dropped frames - and I'm still experimenting.

I've yet to try Firecapture so post your experience if you do - I'd be interested to learn how you get on.

Kind regards, Doug.

Well, first I had to exclude any USB2.0 hardware from the chain between my PC and the camera (I'd been using an nu-powered hub to extend the USB connection to my mount, and I had to add a powered USB 3.0 hub).

Then I set the 'Turbo USB' control to minimum and gradually increased it until the number of dropped frames increased. I find there isn't just one setting, it depends on the binning (2 makes smaller image files = faster USB possible).

However, based on Steve Ward's suggestion I've downloaded FireCapture and think this may be a better long-term solution.

Hope this helps.

Archived