Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Decent low power eyepiece

I have a Celestron 8SE. I'm completely new to astronomy, and shortly after buying it I bought a Celestron Eyepiece and filter kit for around £110 off e-bay to get me started. Since then I have gradually been buying higher quality EP's and a Barlow (Celestron X-Cel, generally, which I have been very happy with).

I am keen to resell the kit on e-bay as I now have better EP's for almost all the focal lengths I want and have never really much used the filters which come in the set . However, the one EP I do use from the set is the 32mm Plossi and I use it quite a lot.

So I am looking for a recommendation for a lowish power decent quality 1.25" eyepiece to finish off my eyepiece set which will allow me to no longer rely on the 32mm Plossi and so allow me to flog the Celestron kit. The low power X-Cel EP's are 2" and I don't really want to go down that route so I am open to suggestions of something which will augment what I already have at 1.25".

I have a budget of £70-£90.

Any suggestions would be gratefully received.

The 32mm plossl will be showing you as much sky as a 1.25" eyepiece can. You could move a 24mm 68 degree apparent field eyepiece such as the Maxvision 24mm. That will show you the same amount of sky but at a higher magnification and the wider apparent field might seem more engaging. Same amount of actual sky though.

To go wider you either need to go to 2" eyepieces or you could consider an F/6.3 focal reducer.

The 32mm plossl will be showing you as much sky as a 1.25" eyepiece can. You could move a 24mm 68 degree apparent field eyepiece such as the Maxvision 24mm. That will show you the same amount of sky but at a higher magnification and the wider apparent field might seem more engaging. Same amount of actual sky though.

To go wider you either need to go to 2" eyepieces or you could consider an F/6.3 focal reducer.

Great,

Thanks for your advice. The 24mm Maxvision gets good reviews. I'm hoping to get a good bit more than £70 asking price of the new EP for reselling the Celestron Eyepiece set on e-bay once I can free up the 32mm Plossl, so hopefully a new bit of astronomy kit is set to actually cost me a negative amount of money  :grin:

As John says the 32mm plossl will give about as much as you can get.

They deliver almost exactly the same as the 25mm X-Cel will, the way the focal lengths and fields of view work out they cancel each other and you end up with the same.

You could spend time and search out a 70 degree eyepiece in the 25mm focal length which would deliver a bit more, there are some (not many) around however not sure if all the effort would really be worth it. I have the Antares W70 eyepieces and that is why I know of them. Also an Antaes is around the £50-60 mark and spending that amount to find out what it delivers is a bit rash.

I would half suggest accept the 32mm plossl as a maximum but if wanted look out for a used TV one and get a very good quality 32mm plossl.

Archived