NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Skyliner 200p OTA on an EQ5 mount, imaging?

Hi SGL

I'm looking for some advise or suggestions as to whether a Skyliner 200p Dob OTA on an EQ5 mount would be any good for some imaging.

I'm undecided, should I get the rings,dovetail and mount and stick a 200p tube on, or would I be better off buying another reflector already on an EQ mount?

Thanks as always

James

For observing this is a reasonable combo on a calm wind free night. But for imaging it really wants to be in a dome. The thing is - the scope is close enough to the weight limit for the mount that by the time you add all the imaging gear (camera, guide scope, guide cam, mountings, dew control, etc) it's going to take it up to or over the maximum. It can be done - but more trouble than it's worth (vibrations, tracking accuracy, etc). Either use a smaller scope like a 150mm newt, or a larger mount like the HEQ5 or AVX is my advice (especially as it's the dob ota). Hth :)

Thanks Brant, definitely some food for thought.

On balance, would a Skyliner 200p Dob with a later upgrade to an EQ5 mount be best, just go straight in with a Skywatcher 200p on an EQ5?

hi there for planetary imaging this combo is fine. for dso's it will cope without a guide camera .obviously faint dso's will struggle.it all depends on what quality you are after . make sure you are polar aligned very accurately. a simple zwo120 or similar weighs very little and is a very capable camera.has the eq5 mount been motorised/goto?this combo will achieve planetary very well,,dso's just depending on how critical you are on your images. each person has different goals. im sure it wouldn't be long though till you are on the upgrading path lol. it never ends.be happy with what you can achieve not anybody else. perfection costs a lot!!!

James, IMO (having been down this route myself) an EQ5 mount with an Explorer 200P is fine for observing and luna / planetary imaging with a webcam, and then you'll still notice the effects of the wind on a breezy evening.  If you want to do DSO imaging, then an HEQ5 in a sheltered area with a guidescope is starting point.

Archived