GOTO not usable with small lens?

Hi,

I want to get into the field of astronomy, more specifically astrophotography so for the start i wanted something a little more portable and use just the DSLR lenses 18-200m i've got.

So i ordered an EQ3 with GOTO kit. I now realize that maybe GOTO cannot be used when i have just some basic lens because I will not be able to align/calibrate it because I won't be able to see the alignment starts with just the lens. Am I right? 

In which case, the GOTO will be an investment for when i will buy a telescope. Or maybe I could use it with an additional small finding scope (but not sure how would I attach it near the DSLR) ?

Thanks

Depends on the camera but liveview is more than capable of seeing any bright stars and a lot of fainter ones and by using the liveview zoom function you should get them accurately centered.

Alan

P.S You can get or make a RDF hotshoe adapter to help with general positioning.

Does it have a polar scope, or at least the hole for one ? you can use that to PA and if your camera has live view you can use that to star align.

Dave

Yes, I got a polar scope with it and my camera has live view. 

Depends on the camera but liveview is more than capable of seeing any bright stars and a lot of fainter ones and by using the liveview zoom function you should get them accurately centered.

Alan

P.S You can get or make a RDF hotshoe adapter to help with general positioning.

Cool idea with the hotshoe adapter.

Archived