Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Measurements needed

Hello all.

I have been observing now for over two years using superb grab and go Tele Vue 85 frac on alt az mount which cannot fault. I feel happy with my star hopping abilities but feel would like to get a second scope to suit more DSO pursuits. I am a 5' 4" woman and feel 10" dob is the biggest I could sensibley handle. Considering classic Orion SkyQuest XT10 and think weight should be manageable. However, no specific measurements detailed of base unit. I was wondering if anyone out there with this scope could let me know accurate measurements of base unit as if it won't fit in car then it's a no go. OTA okay to sit on back seat as fits.

Thanks in anticipation.

Sam :-)

Hello Sam.  I have the 6" and 8" Skyquest XT's, the base diameter on both of these is 49.5cm, there is plenty of room to include a 10" version so it could well be the same. Hope this helps until a 10" owner can confirm.  :smiley:

I've just ordered the XT10g myself so was interested in this. Looking at the videos and online documents I guesstimated it to be roughly 22" diameter. The bases look to be same size across 6 - 10" classic/I/g models.

The main difference is the weight for motors.

When it arrives I'll post more info. Hopefully soon :)

Hello all.

I have been observing now for over two years using superb grab and go Tele Vue 85 frac on alt az mount which cannot fault. I feel happy with my star hopping abilities but feel would like to get a second scope to suit more DSO pursuits. I am a 5' 4" woman and feel 10" dob is the biggest I could sensibley handle. Considering classic Orion SkyQuest XT10 and think weight should be manageable. However, no specific measurements detailed of base unit. I was wondering if anyone out there with this scope could let me know accurate measurements of base unit as if it won't fit in car then it's a no go. OTA okay to sit on back seat as fits.

Thanks in anticipation.

Sam :-)

Hi,

Its just arrived this afternoon. The width of the base is 53cm, I've not assembled it yet but had a look at the parts. The base weight isn't too bad, the classic will be a lot lighter as it doesnt house the drive motors. The tube and mirror look stunning, the 2" eye pieces are impressive!

The tube isn't too heavy, its more the bulk of it. If you can get to a store or club to see a similar sized telescope and see if its good for you would be an idea.

Shame i'm on nights tonight and tomorrow... any sicky excuses anyone??

Hiya Sam,

A Newtonian reflector of around 8 or 10 inches on a Dobsonian mount is in my opinion the ideal visual scope to own. Such instruments balance the compromises between budget, investigating the night sky and just as importantly, not being too big to handle or store. As such, for me, a 10" Dob is the perfect balance between price, aperture and portability.

I have had a 10” truss Dob for the last three years or so and I have not even begun to master all that it has to offer. That said they aren't without draw backs. A 10" scope tends to be fast, so will be more demanding on cheaper eyepieces, collimation will be needed and lastly, if you ever want to upgrade from a 10", it's going to big :p .

John has posted some cracking information on size and weight here which is worth checking out. I’d also advise you to have a look in person at the type of scope you’re interested in before purchase. Pictures can often be deceiving, so perhaps getting in contact with a local astronomy club and going along to a star party would be a good idea.

Archived