Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Star parties in East Sussex

Hey guys, anyone know of any star parties in or around the East Sussex area/South Downs. Just come back from kielder and had the most amazing time using my scope and camera and would like to start meeting up with fellow astronomers to share ideas and experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I`ve been there quite a few times and it is great  fun. There is a thread about it here http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/236999-herstmonceux-11th-festival-of-astronomy-2015/

It`s not a full on serious no light star party but it is still a good chance to grab some dark sky when the weather behaves. 

It`s a great place for families, my kids really enjoy it.

• 1 month later...

Hi There

There are a few star parties arranged by the East Sussex Astronomy Society (ESSA)I know they have a dark site near Bexhill. I have not been to any ESAS events but would love to unfortunately their meeting almost always clash with dads taxi duties. I have a 15yr old in tow as he is doing GCSE Astronomy at Bexhill High and we try and go out at least 2x a week. There are some lovely sites where it is really dark in the county and I am building up a small location list some even have decent hard standing for you car and gear being church, council or national trust car parks Light Pollution can be avoided in most of the county with their only being about 6 major population centres. Unfortunately the sky can be a bit busy due to flight paths etc but thats modern life. during the current month we have had some great views and got about 4 nights a week viewing.

I would love to hear from anybody who would like to help arrange a few star parties as its been rather solitary for the past couple of years. I still consider myself a newbie as only really started seriously Skywatching about 18mths ago and last month went the whole hog and spent my years pocket money's on a new scope and various secondhand accessories. As a mature dad I give myself a modest pocket money for hobby stuff so " er in doors" can't complain. Otherwise I'd have used the overdraft and got a NEQ6 goto mount and other toys but its better having a quiet life lol and reigning in my wish lists.

Geoff

Hi

A quick update Wealden Astronomy do a Series of star parties in conjunction with Herstmonceux Science Centre at the old Greenwhich Observatory, I believe that if you are a member of the society you are very welcome and have decent membership rates non members are also able to attend as paying customers of the science centre . As I am not a member of Wealden Society I don't know wether members pay a n admission charge or just a small evening subscription.

Geoff

Archived